All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chain-Chomp


This is Chain-Chomp from the Mario Brothers games. I made this because my middle daughter begged me to. LOL. When writing out the pattern for it, I tried to make it as plain as possible, but I'm still learning how to write out patterns for someone other than myself to read, so bear with me. If anything is confusing, please let me know and I'll do my best to explain or change it.

If the cube portion of the pattern just isn't working for you, you can always make a cube by crocheting 6 squares that are 3 to 4 inches in size and sew them together to form a cube. I just like the look of the one piece cube better, but either is just fine.


CHAIN-CHOMP

Materials:

WW black, grey, white and red yarns
G Hook
Small amount of white felt
Thread to match the felt
Yarn Needle
Fiberfil


NOTES:

This pattern requires a little more advanced work than most of the patterns I have to date. Some of the pieces require more manipulation to fit and the general stuffing process is different. With patience though, even beginning crocheters should be able to make Chain-Chomp. I'll do my best to explain the steps as clearly and as simply as I can.

Gauge isn't really important, but your hook, yarn and natural tension should combine to create a moderately tight stitch.

I tried using continuous rounds on this pattern, but it just doesn't work out as well due to it's nature. The cube *can* be worked in continuous rounds, but I found that the cube tended to become lopsided in places because of the need for it to be even on all sides. I recommend joining rounds on this pattern, but if you're more comfortable using continuous rounds, by all means do so.

Numbers in ( ) at the end of each round/row indicate the total number of stitches that should be in each round/row.


BODY

Using black yarn, make two half domes as follows:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring. (6)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12)

Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (18)

Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)

Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (30)

Rnd 6: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (36)

Rnd 7-9: sc in each sc around (36)

F/O.

Sew the two half domes together for 18 stitches, leaving the remainder of stitches unworked. This should give you a *pac-man* looking shape with a gaping 'mouth'. Set aside for now.


MOUTH:

Using red yarn:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring. (6)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12)

Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (18)

Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)

Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (30)

Rnd 6: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (36)

F/O

Fold this piece in half, and insert into the 'mouth' of the body. Lining up the stitches, sew the mouth to the body with the 'fold' to the inside. Stuff carefully as you go, making sure that you stuff enough to round out the body, but not to overstuff, so that the mouth still remains 'folded' and inside the body of the chomp. This may require some 'easing' of the mouth piece into the body pieces. In the end, you should have a toothless 'ball with a mouth'.


TEETH:

Make 2 using white:

Row 1: Ch 21, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, DC in same ch. (Skip 2 chs, sl st, ch 3, dc together in the next ch) repeat the instructions in the ( ) to end. F/O

Sew the 'teeth strips' to the opening of the mouth as shown in the picture. Pin them first, to help decide exact placement. A little easing of the strips my be necessary to fit them.

(NOTE: Some may find that using an F hook to make the teeth will result in a better fit. You may need to 'stretch' the base of the strip a bit to fit it, but that's ok in most cases. A little experimentation never hurts!)


CHAIN:

Using gray yarn:

Ch 16. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook and each ch to end. Sl st the two ends together. (I also recommend using grey sewing thread and re-inforcing where the two ends meet on all the chain links)

Repeat for next link, before closing insert through last link (creating the 'chain') then sew closed and make next link. Make the chain as long or as short as you like.

CUBE:

Cube is worked in one piece. It's a little different than working a ball in rounds, the increases and decreases are different, but similar enough that it should be possible even for beginners with a little patience. I recommend joining your rounds, but if you are comfortable enough using continuous rounds, it's worth a try.

[Dec3 instructions: Instead of making a normal dec stitch, this is a decrease over 3 sc. In front loops only: insert yarn thru front loop of first sc, y/o pull through, insert through FL of second sc y/o pull through, insert through FL of third sc y/o pull thru, y/o pull through all loops on hook.]

Using gray yarn:

Rnd 1: 4 sc in magic ring. join with sl st to first sc do not turn, continue as if for a ball (4)

Rnd 2: ch 1 3 sc in same stitch as join, and in each sc around, join with sl st to first sc of round (12)

Rnd 3: ch 1, sc in same stitch as join. *3 sc next sc. sc in next 2 sc* repeat from * to * around to last corner, end with 3 sc in corner sc and sc in last sc. Join with sl st to first sc of round. (21)

Rnd 4: ch 1, sc same st as join, sc in next sc. *3 sc next sc, sc in next 4 sc* repeat from * to * around to last corner, end with 3 sc in corner sc and sc in each of last 2 sc. Join with sl st to first sc of round. (28)

Rnd 5: ch 1, sc same st as join, sc in next 2 sc. *3 sc next sc, sc in next 6 sc* repeat from * to * to last corner, end with 3 sc in corner sc and sc in each of last 3 sc. Join with sl st to first sc of round ( 36)

Rnd 6: ch 1, sc same st as join, sc in next 3 sc. *3 sc next sc, sc in next 8 sc* repeat from * to * to last corner, end with 3 sc in corner sc and sc in each of last 4 sc. Join with sl st to first sc of round (44)

Rnd 7-18: sc in each sc around joining each round with sl st to first sc of round (44)

Rnd 19: ch 1 sc same st as join, sc in next 4 sc. *Dec3 over next 3 sc, sc in next 8 sc* repeat from * to * to last corner, end with dec3 and sc in last 4 sc. Join with sl st to first sc of round (36)

Rnd 20: ch 1 sc same st as join, sc in next 3 sc. * Dec3 over next 3 sc, sc in next 6 sc* repeat from * to * to last corner, end with dec3 and sc in last 3 sc. Join with sl st to first sc of round (28)

You probably will need to begin stuffing cube at this point (if you haven't already), and continue as you progress. Take care to stuff so that the shape of a cube is retained with minimum bulging of the sides (some bulging is natural) See the picture for references.

Rnd 21: ch 1 sc same st as join, sc in next sc 2 sc. *Dec3 over next 3 sc, sc in next 4 sc* repeat from * to * to last corner, end with dec3 and sc in last 2 sc. Join with sl st to first sc of round (21)

Rnd 22: ch 1 sc same st as join, sc in next sc. *Dec3 over next 3 sc, sc in next 2 sc* repeat from * to * to last corner, end with dec3 and sc in last sc, Join with sl st to first sc of round (12)

Rnd 23: c1 Dec3 over next 3 sc around join with sl st to first sc of round (4).

F/O leaving tail for finishing off.

Using the blunt end of crochet hook, chopstick or eraser end of pencil, add any stuffing necessary to finish out cube shape. With yarn needle, weave the tail through the last 4 stitches of final round and pull to tighten. Tie off. Weave in end.


FINAL ASSEMBLY:

Attach chain to back of chomp and to one side of cube.

With white felt, cut two circles and with black felt cut two smaller circles. (on mine, I used a quarter for the white circles and a dime for the black ones, your circles may need to be larger or smaller, depending on your tension and yarn used, but those sizes are a good starting point) Sew the black circles to the center of the white ones as shown in the picture and then to the face of chomp.



Chain-chomp is copyright Nintendo.

This crochet pattern is an original pattern by Linda Potts (April 2009). Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern.

17 comments:

Laural said...

OH my goodness this is awesome!! Great job!

I'm supposed to make a Giraffy from the game Castle Crashers and he's pretty much a cube. I've been wondering how on earth to pull that off.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you! I hope the cube instructions will help you with your project. (I'm not familiar with that game, but I understand how game characters can be :)

Dragonflymom said...

My youngest is 3 and loves the Mario games, I have already made him a Mario and a bomb, and this pattern brightened his little face up tonight. Thought about making a Luigi? LOL

WolfDreamer said...

I'm so glad to know that the pattern brightened his day! I haven't thought about a Luigi but I'm working on designing some 'human' form plushies, so it's not too far off the mark ... I just might do that! :)

Caroline said...

Thanks so much for sharing you r awesome patterns! I just made a chain chomp for my youngest son. Check it out on my blog if you like:http://thekansashooker.blogspot.com/2009/05/wolfdreamer-off-hook-has-really-cool.html. Thanks again!

Lupita said...

This is awesome. I'm making this for my brother. I would like to know how big it is. Thanks for the pattern.

shaneric said...

Your patterns are just great! I have made the Mario for one son and am now on to making chain-chomp for another son. However, I'm stuck on the instructions for the teeth. The second half of the instructions in the () say to "dc together in the next ch." I think I'm not doing something right. I have just been sk 2chs, sl st, ch 3, and then dc in next ch. But my teeth don't look like your teeth in the picture. Any help on what I'm doing wrong is greatly appreciated!!

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

I made jiggly puff awhile back and it was great.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/del9lah/jigglypuff

I think this may be a Christmas project for a family gift exchange. I already have all the yarn!

Thanks!
Delilah

Anonymous said...

You wouldnt happen to have a Yoshi pattern would you? :)

Unknown said...

why I have not seen this site before?! I was trying to find a new way to do the chain on my daughter's chain chomp (not happy with what I have created) and now I find this beautiful critter. I covet the teeth.

Have book marked you in delicious and will be using some of your patterns - thank you so much!

Jenn said...

I am in LOVE with your site! My daughter is having a mario brothers/princess peach party in May and I have made the mushrooms (red, the 1 up, and I shifted the pattern slightly to make the smaller blue mushroom), the bombom, and the fire power flower. Your patterns are awesome I just want to thank you for posting them. I'd really love to make a piranha plant, which I assume would be similar to the chain chomp, only the teeth are different. Thank you so much. You are the bombom!

Susan: My Food Obsession said...

Thank you for sharing all the Mario Bros. patterns!!! I am a BIG Mario Bros fan & can't wait to make these.

fearthischick said...

Thank you so much for all your Mario patterns! I'm making most of them for my husbands "man/game cave".

I'm a beginner crocheter and your patterns are so easy to follow. I haven't actually assembled one yet, I have the "parts" finished with the colors I have and making a huge craft store haul this weekend so I can finish them up. Really excited and nervous to complete them. All the items I have made turned out perfect and I'm scared that I'll fudge them up when assembling.

LongIslandGirl said...

Hi again! My Mario came out GREAT! I just downloaded Chain-Chomp and Goomba. I will be making another donation to you as I REALLY appreciate these patterns!

Karin said...

I'm new to crochet (only completed 2 projects to date, with another one in process) so I may be misunderstanding, but in Rnd 2 of the cube it specifies working into the join for 3 sc, and in each of the remaining sc of the round, but this seems to be leaving me with 15 stitches at the end of the round instead of 12. Is this a typo in Rnd 2 only, or should I not work into the joining st in any round? Or am i completely misunderstanding what "in same stitch as join" means?

Thank you for the pattern.

Karin said...

As a side note, I think the st totals for the cube are a little off. Since it's basically a repeating pattern it should increase (and dec) by 8 sts each shaping rnd. Instead it goes 4, 12, 21, 28, 36, 44, which is a difference of 8, 9, 7, 8, 8, so I'm fairly certain the 21 should be 20.

I had to rework it half a dozen times before I noticed that, and once I switched to 20 sts for rnd 3 my square started looking real nice.

I'm considering doing a separate square for the top, instead of the dec3 sts, only because i want to try and work in a sort of half chain built into that piece and I just can't figure out how to incorporate it into the dec3 portion of the pattern.

Anyway thanks again for this pattern. Hopefully this little note helps out other newbies who might be struggling as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...