All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Luma Plushie



Yay! More mario plushies! LOL.. well I had to make Luma. I've had dozens of requests for it, and it's a fairly simple pattern to design, and I needed easy. Working on my current commission project is draining my last ounce of patience, so this was a welcome break :D

Luma can be made in just about any color you want... so have a blast. lol

As always, if you find anything wrong with the pattern, or just need to ask a question, please feel free to comment or send me an email and I'll get back to you as soon as I can :)


Luma

Materials:

ww yarn yellow
G hook
fiberfill
small amount of black and white felt
yarn needle

Notes:

Gauge isn't important as long as your yarn and hook choice results in a tight stitch so that the stuffing material doesn't show through.

Numbers in ( ) at the end of each row/round indicate the total number of stitches in that round or row.


BODY:

Rnd 1: 8 sc in Magic Ring (8)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)
Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (32)
Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (40)
Rnd 6: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (48)
Rnd 7-12: sc in each sc around (48)
Rnd 13: sc in next 6 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (42)
Rnd 14-16: sc in each sc around (42)
Rnd 17: sc in next 5 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (36)
Rnd 18-19: sc in each sc around (36)
Rnd 20: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (30)
Rnd 21-22: sc in each sc around (30)
Rnd 23: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (24)
Rnd 24-25: sc in each sc around (24)
Rnd 26: sc in next 8 sc, *dec over next 2 sc* repeat * to * 3 more times, sc in each of last 8 sc (20)
Begin stuffing here, continue stuffing as you progress. Be sure to stuff rather firmly and shape as you stuff.
Rnd 27: sc in next 6 sc, *dec over next 2 sc* repeat * to * 3 more times, sc in each of last 6 sc (16)
Rnd 28: sc in next 4 sc, *dec over next 2 sc* repeat * to * 3 more times, sc in each of last 4 sc (12)
Rnd 29: sc in next 2 sc, *dec over next 2 sc* repeat * to * 3 more times, sc in each of last 2 sc (8)
Rnd 30-31: sc in each sc around (8)
Rnd 32: dec over next 2 sc around (4)

F/O. Stuff the last few rows VERY lightly, just enough to help it hold it's shape. Weave yarn through the last round and pull to close. Secure and weave in end.


ARMS:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in Magic Ring (6)
Rnd 2: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc (8)
Rnd 3: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc (10)
Rnd 4: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc (12)
Rnd 5: sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc (14)
Rnd 6: sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc (16)

F/O. Stuff lightly to give some dimension, but don't overstuff (you want to keep that semi-triangular shape)


LEGS:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in Magic Ring (6)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in last sc (8)
Rnd 3: 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in last sc (10)
Rnd 4: 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in last sc (12)
Rnd 5: 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 10 sc, 2 sc in last sc (14)

F/O. Stuff to shape. Legs should be stuffed relatively firm.


ASSEMBLY: Sew the legs to the bottom as shown (longer side facing 'out'). Sew arms to sides in line with legs as shown.

I recommend cutting eye shapes from paper before cutting out felt pieces. This lets you get the size and shape you want just right before cutting the felt. Sew eyes in place as shown and add two very small circles of white felt as 'catch lights' to the eyes.



Luma and Mario Brothers are copyright Nintendo

This pattern is an original pattern by Linda Potts (August 2009). Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site or publish on any cd or collection. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern. Photos are also property of and copyright Linda Potts.

55 comments:

Chairo_Kuma said...

I am so in love with these! I will have to make one to go with the Mario Mushroom that I made for The Guy from your pattern. Thank you so much for posting free patterns for others to try!
^_^

Catriona Palin said...

OMG! That is SOOO cute....now where'd I put my yellow wool!

Henny said...

i can't crochet as fast as you design new patterns...^-^

thank you again!

CorinneCanCraft said...

YAY! Another to add to the list... I can't keep up. Thank you so much for sharing your patterns

WolfDreamer said...

Thanks! :D

Anonymous said...

Please, make a yoshi!

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you! :D

Anonymous said...

i love them!!!!! pleace make the fire and ice flower on mario galaxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WolfDreamer said...

We'll see. I do have a backlog of projects to make, a couple of which I'm being paid for, so they must come first... but the flowers seem rather simple to create, so I might do them on a break or between projects or something like that... if I have the right colors :D

Anonymous said...

soooo cute! can you make rosalina??

Anonymous said...

i love them. are you a Christian?

WolfDreamer said...

Thanks!

marizza said...

cute!! can you make roselina on mario galaxy please????????

WolfDreamer said...

Thanks! I don't know about rosalina, but I will add it to the list and see if I can at some point. I'm really backlogged right now... but I'll try ! :D

Anonymous said...

so cute, can you please make a shelled turtle on mario galaxy? that will be so cool!!!!!!!

WolfDreamer said...

You aren't the first to ask for a turtle shell from mario... I'm a little backlogged right now, but I do want to make one of those soon. :D

solacorvus said...

This little guy is definitely on my to-make list, after I finish DH's chain chomp (used my own pattern for the head from a pac-man pattern). I've got piles of yellow yarn that someone gave me that I have no other use for!

Though, the more I look at the Luma... the more I think that a little modification would make him into a great Ninji!

WolfDreamer said...

Thanks! and if you make the ninji, please post a link to the picture so I can see it! I'd love to see how it comes out! :)

Unknown said...

My Lavender Luma is done! Thanks again for sharing!
http://corinnecancraft.com/wordpress/?p=102

Unknown said...

Adorable!!!! I must make one of these.

Jenny said...

Hey. I am so glad you made these free. Thank you for devoting so much of your effort for us! My son is a HUGE Mario fan, and I plan on making all of them that I can. I have a question about the pattern though. On Rnd 13, I single crochet, then decrease on the next 2, but do I keep decreasing over the next 2 all the way around, or do I single crochet in 6 again then decrease again? Thanks again!

WolfDreamer said...

Yes, you would sc 6, dec over 2, sc 6, dec over 2 and repeat that sequence all the way around :)

Jenny said...

Thank you. You are so awesome!

skåpfyratvå said...

I love it! i have just written it down in swedish. (for myselt of cousre) three of my friends love Luma, so ypu can migth guess what I gonna give them for birtday, thanks for charing your pattens with everyone!

skåpfyratvå said...

(in english my screen name is lockerfourtwo, so you know)

Amaltheas2 said...

Let me just put this out there ... You are my Crochet-Hero!

I've already made several Mario Mushrooms, they're a **huge** hit at the office! All the guys want one of their very own!!

But now, I see you have a Luma. How can I resist? I can't wait to give it a try! If it's small & quick enough, I feel this will be the new Favorite!

Thanks sooo much for all the free patterns! I love your Etsy shop as well :) The dragon may be the next baby-shower gift ..... THANKS!

Tiff said...

Thank you so much for this luma pattern, I made one for my boyfriend and he loved it! I looked at yours and thought yours wasn't fat enough but I should've followed your directions haha, after stuffing it it looked TOO fat and it's just become a luma that ate too many star bits!

Carla said...

I'd never heard of Luma from Mario, but I'm sure my son knows! I will try to make this in pink by the way, and with a little changes at the eye I want to make it look like Patrick from Spongebob ;-).

Anonymous said...

i like the pattern but am having a bit of trouble with the arms and legs. 6 rnds dont seem to be enough for any of them. maybe im just doing it wrong but 6 rnds dont seem to make it big enough. if you could email me at RDehart91@hotmail.com it really appreciate some help if it wouldnt cause you too much trouble.
Thanks so much for the patterns though.

Angelique said...

Your patterns are just wonderfull! I'm a french new crocheter (just 2 months !!!) and your Luma is my third "work" (I would be honored if you want to see it http://bazarmagique.canalblog.com/ ) and it's amazing how you 've just create everything my daughters love in crochet! You are now the hero of two little girls in the middle of France!!! I will be back very often I think...Thank you very much for sharing.

Unknown said...

This is so cute (!!!!) but I'm a bit confused about round 26... There's only 24 four stitches to go into and I can only decrease twice and finish with 6 sc. Am I supposed to continue to go around again? Thanks!

WolfDreamer said...

You sc into the first 8 sc of the round, then make four decreases in a row, then sc in the last 8 sc if the round.

When you read 'repeat * to* x times' you repeat only the instructions between the *s in that round the number of times indicated.

In this instance:

Rnd 26: sc in next 8 sc, *dec over next 2 sc* repeat * to * 3 more times, sc in each of last 8 sc (20)

You see *decrease over the next 2 sc* is in *s, you then see repeat * to * 3 times. So you will repeat only the instructions between the *s 3 times, then continue with the round as written :D

Hope that helps :D

Unknown said...

It really does help! Thanks! Sorry, I just never looked hard enough to notice that the * was around dec over next 2 sc. I thought it was around sc in next sc, dec over next two sc. I can't thank you enough for helping me!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I finished my luma but it looks smaller than yours and the shape is a bit different, what did i do wrong??
Carla

p.s: I'm sorry for my bad english, I'm from Argentina haha

Little Alice said...

Hey um i can't help but wonder what the Magic Ring is? I don't know what it is and i was gonna make the Luma for my two little nephews can you help me??

Little Alice said...

oh thank you x3 my mom knows what it is now and thanks for the instructions

char3tt3 said...

I cannot BELIEVE how wonderful this site is! This is going to be a great holiday season... I seriously might just crochet through all the characters here! Thank you so much! And my sister, an avid Galaxy fan, thanks you too!!!

Go ahead and check out my "Teal Luma" on ravelry!
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/maclkayl/luma-plushie-2

bekachu said...

I only recently learned how to follow a crochet pattern, and I managed to turn out five Bombombs in an hour thanks to your easy to read patterns! Now I've found this and your Pokemon patterns, and I know all my family and friends will be getting cuddly things for their birthdays this year! Thankyou, you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for your pattern. However, it's wrong. Rnd 13: sc in next 6 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (42) If you do this, you get 36, not 42. If you dec 1 instead of 2, you get 42, so I'm going to try that.

WolfDreamer said...

Actually, it's right. When you do a proper sc decrease, you decrease over the next 2 sc. You only decrease the count by one however, as you're turning the '2 sc' into '1 sc'. To decrease by 2, one would have to decrease over 3 sc at the same time.

If you're just 'skipping' a sc when making your decreases, you're leaving holes that will be a problem when you stuff the dolls.

Anna-Lisa said...

Hi! I love Lumas and i just love Super Mario Galaxy! I just did a black Luma following your pattern. Sorry for my english sometimes, just if i spell something wrong.
(I'm from sweden)
As i just said, i did the black luma, Polari, who is the adviser of Rosalina.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Polari

Anonymous said...

¡Hola, muy amable y generosa por sus patrones!!......podrá decirme que significa cs diciembre?? ó sc diciembre??.
Muchas gracias.

Espero que me pueda ayudar.

TattooedRat said...

Rd3 I have an issue already. Says there is supposed to be 24 SC. With 2 sc in each of the previous 16. Its not working. I end up with way more than 24. And Ive undone, and redone 3 times already. O.O What am I doin wrong.

email me at tattooedrat@yahoodotcom

Emma Herrod said...

Thank you so much for putting this pattern out there for free - very generous of you. I'm new to arigurumi so I'm not quite able to work out how big the finished product will be from the pattern.

Can anyone advise on the finished size approx?

Many thanks :)

WolfDreamer said...

Mine was about 7 inches tall. Yours may be slightly larger or smaller, depending on the choice of yarn, hook and your individual tension.

:D

random pie said...

how big is it cuz my mom won't let me use too much of her yarn........ so ya, how big?

Lucy said...

Hi there! I have made the Luma as well as some other Mario toys you have so generously shared on here!

I posted about them on my blog and linked to you here and to the other patterns I did aswell!

I made a really huge Bob-omb using your King Boo and Bob-omb patterns as guides, he's really cute :)

Here's the link - http://pinupcrafts.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-mario-crochet.html

Thank you again for the amazing patterns!

Alex said...

Hi! First off, thank you for your patterns! They are fantastic and have made Christmas and birthdays SO MUCH easier! I have a quick question: I churned out the the body no problems, but the legs and arms seem too small. I'm pretty sure I followed the pattern right but they seem quite short. Can you offer any help? Should I stretch them somehow? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous said...

I love your pattern thanks but you go from 24 to 32 how everytime i try it i get 30 and i go back check y spacing and still get thirty.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just stumbled upon your site, and just had to tell you how much I am in love with it.

Your amazing, and while I have never made anything like this (teaching myself to crochet, been at it for a few months now) I am inspired to get as good as you!

Love, love, love, and thank you SO much for your blog, I know it's time consuming!!

~Sharee

sweet mama said...

I'm gonna have to try this even though I can barely crochet. Thank you for putting up this pattern!

Unknown said...

Aww,this Luma is so cute. I have tried to make one but my Luma (now only the body) has not these shape :(
Maybe i don't understand the point with 2 sc in next sc.
Can you help me please?

Anonymous said...

Hi for every row that reach the st mark to you slip stich or work continue circle

Unknown said...

I'm working on a light blue Luma!
Thanks for the pattern!

Débora Gomes said...

Seus trabalhos são lindos parabéns e obrigado por compartilhar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...