All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Drifloon Plushie


This was another requested plushie. I'm considering also making the evolved form of Drifloon - Drifblim, but haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the back of him, but there's really nothing to show and my camera memory was full. *sigh*

The pattern is mostly an easy one, the one major difference is the sculpting part. It's not hard, it's just to add some 'puffs' to the cloud cap, but it IS a nice and easy introduction to soft sculpting other things, like faces in dolls, etc. If you have ever sewn on a plushie and accidently pulled the thread too tight and created a 'dent', you've already done some 'sculpting' LOL

If you find any problems, please let me know I'll fix them ASAP. :)

DRIFLOON

Materials:

WW yarn in purple and small amounts in white, gold and black
G Hook
Fiberfill
Yarn needle
Sewing thread in black, white and gold and sewing needle

NOTES:
Gauge isn't important, just ensure that your hook and yarn sizes result in a fairly tight stitch that won't allow the fiberfil to show thru.

Numbers at the end of rounds/rows indicate the total number of stitches that should be in the round/row.

This pattern includes a little bit of 'sculpting' of the pieces. This is done by using a sewing thread that matches the piece you're working on and sewing through the piece indicated to create shapes and forms. (see the cloud cap on the drifloon, the puffs of the cloud are sculpted using sewing thread). Use a single strand of sewing thread when sculpting, and try to keep your stitches buried in creases of the crochet to make them mostly invisible. By pulling your stitches gently tighter, it creates the shapes in the piece. It's not necessary to be precise in this particular sculpting application, because there are never any two clouds exactly alike.


BODY:

Using purple:

Rnd 1: 8 sc in magic ring (8)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)
Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (32)
Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (40)
Rnd 6: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (48)
Rnd 7: sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (56)
Rnd 8: sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (64)
Rnd 9-15: sc in each sc around (64)
Rnd 16: sc in next 6 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (56)
Rnd 17: sc in next 5 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (48)
Rnd 18: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (40)
Rnd 19: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (32)

Being stuffing at this point and continue as you go along.

Rnd 20: sc in next 2 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (24)
Rnd 21: sc in next sc, dec over next 2 sc around (16)
Rnd 22: dec over next 2 sc around (8)

F/O leaving a tail and then using chopstick or back of crochet hook, finish adding any stuffing you made need and shape to a ball. Weave in the tail and pull to close.

NECK (flair at bottom of 'head/body'):

Using purple:

Rnd 1: Ch 16 sl st to form a ring, make sure not to twist the chain. Sc in each ch around (16)
Rnd 2: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)
Rnd 3: *Ch 4. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch dc in next ch. Sk 2 of rnd 1 and sl st in next sc.* repeat from * to * to end of rnd. Sl st to base of first ch 4. F/O weave in the ends and sew the 'neck' to the center of the bottom of the head/body (center the closing 'circle' in the middle of the neck for best placement)


CLOUD CAP:

Using white:

Rnd 1: 8 sc in MR (8)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3: sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next 2 sc, sc next 6 sc, 2 sc in last 2 sc (20)
Rnd 4: sc in next 7 sc, 2 sc in next 3 sc, sc next 7 sc, 2 sc in last 3 sc (26)
Rnd 5: sc in next 9 sc, 2 sc in next 4 sc, sc next 9 sc, 2 sc in last 4 sc (34)
Rnd 6: sc in next 16 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc next 16 sc, 2 sc in last sc (36)
Rnd 7 sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (30)


F/0 and stuff MODERATELY (you need some play in the firmness for the sculpting). Sew the 'cap' to the top of the head, using photo for placement help.

TAIL OF CAP:

Using white:

Rnd 1: 4 sc in MR (4)
Rnd 2: Sc in each sc around (4)
Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (6)
Rnd 4: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (9)
Rnd 5: sc in each sc around (9)

F/O stuff VERY lightly and sew tail to side of cloud cap at the base, to one side (see photo)

Using sewing thread and needle, stitch random patterns in cloud cap using a running stitch, gently pull the stitch line to create 'random puffs' in the cloud. (make sure you like the puff before you fasten off the sewing the thread, if you don't like it, pull it out gently and redo it)

NOSE:

With gold: (make 2)

Ch 11, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each chain across (10)
Work one row even (10)

F/O and weave in ends. Cross the two pieces and sew in the middle, then add to the 'face' of the drifloon. (see photo)

EYES:

Using black make 2:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in MR (6)

F/O and sew to face on either side of the 'nose'


LEGS AND FEET:

Feet (with gold make 2 ):

Rnd 1: 6 sc in MR (6)
Rnd 2: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (8)
Rnd 3: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (10)
Rnd 4: sc in each sc around (10)
Row 5: Flatten the 'foot' and working through both 'sides' work 5 sc across . turn (5)
Row 6: sc in first sc, in next sc work the following: dc, tr, dc, sl st next sc, in next sc work dc, tr, dc, sc in last sc.

F/O

String Legs:

Using black ww yarn, ch 35, sl st in 'top' of foot (see photo) Ch 1 and sl st in each ch to end. Attach each leg to the side of the 'neck' (see photo for placement help)


Finishing:

I also added a hanger by attaching fishing line to the top of the cap and an old earring hook so that he would hang neatly. I kinda like how he gently moves and turns in the draft of the room, it gives him a little life.


Drifloon and Pokemon are copyright Nintendo.

This pattern is an original pattern by Linda Potts (June 2009). Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern.

38 comments:

FieryMyst said...

this is very cute! I love the feet.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you very much! (he was fun to make :)

Anonymous said...

You did an excellent job. He is so cute. My daughter saw the patterns you made of the pokemon's She loves them so much, she wants me to make gthem for you.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you! I'm glad to be able to share the patterns for others to enjoy as much as my family does :D

Anonymous said...

i love your patterns.i want to make them all.you might be able to make an eevee.you are very talanted

Lottipop said...

I think you should make a TURTWIG!!

Gabby said...

Almost done with mine! Making it for my brother for Christmas he is gonna love it!

ekobor said...

Perfect~ I just started making mine today. Drifloon is my favourite. I hope you'll make a Drifblim someday, hehe.

I've been collecting Pokemon patterns, I wonder if all of them have been done?

Anonymous said...

wow, this is an AMAZING drifloon pattern!! love it <3. i was wondering, about how big is the finished pokemon?

Anonymous said...

i would like to no how bib i s it in height

WolfDreamer said...

The 'body' is roughly five inches, with the 'legs' it's as long as you make the legs, mine is around 12 inches or so? I no longer have the doll itself, so I can't measure it exactly.

Daniel Hicks said...

This and all of your ami's are absolutely amazing and I have a cheeky little request. Could you perhaps if you get round to it try to make a Combee as they are by far my favourite. Thank you from germany. :)

Melissa said...

Wah! I've been following you for a while and all your Amigurumis are some of hte most amazing I've seen. Would you ever consider making an Arcanine or Luxray plush? I would love to see one c:!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering... can you PLZ PLZ PLZ make a Vulpix plushie? 'Cuz that is my most favorite Pokemon of all time!!! 83 I play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, and since there's already a Chikorita pattern, then if there was a Vulpix pattern, then I could crochet my exploration team from that game. THNX!!! ^_^

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! This is the most adorable thing EVER!!! :D Once I get some free time, I start crocheting one of my own. TYVM for posting the pattern! :)

P.S. I agree with the other anonymous person, you should do a vulpix, those are awesome. ;)

Anonymous said...

Please! Could you make a treecko!?

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! :D
I'm making it right now, but I'm wondering what dec and sl st mean :S
I think I learned those in a different word >.<

WolfDreamer said...

It's all standardized abbreviations.

dec = decrease

sl st = slip stitch

Anonymous said...

Im having some trouble with rnd 3 of the 'neck.' Whatever i do, i cant seem to make it add up and go all the way around the chains in rnd 2. Im wondering if maybe the 'sk 2 of rnd 1' is what im doing wrong? I'm not sure what the 'rnd 1' part is. Also, I think rnd 4 and 5 of the 'tail' are supposed to be 8 total, unless im missing a ss or something. Hopefully you get this, i tried looking for a way to contact you, without success. I dont have a facebook. Thank you in advance for your help and creating all these wonderful plushies. Its so neat knowing I'm the one that created it

WolfDreamer said...

Ok on the neck... you're working your stitches in the 'chain' that you made. when you reach the end of the series (the end of the chain) you then skip two sc on the 'round' before, and begin again from the *

IN round four of the 'tail'. you begin with six sc. You sc in the first, 2 sc in the next, sc in the next, 2 sc in the next, sc in the next, and 2 sc in the last... that's 9 :D

I made a typo there, but I will fix that... Im usually in a hurry when I'm typing these out, heck I'm always in a hurry.. LOL, I'm surprised no one else brought that up before :D

thank you for mentioning it :D

Brittany said...

Thank you for your fast reply! That makes way more sense for the tail, lol. Im still confused on the neck though. Ive drawn it out to try and help but always end up with 2 chains left inbetween the last ss and the last chain from the previous round. Is it supposed to be like that?

Anonymous said...

I followed the directions, but the sphere part came out as an ovoid (egg/oval shaped). Any suggestions? I have made spheres before, just never this big around.

WolfDreamer said...

Is it possible that you added extra stitches at the end of the rounds? It's really kind of hard for me to know without actually seeing it... but you may want to count your stitches at the end of each round, to ensure you have the right number :D

yunabluelovesyou said...

thnx 4 posting the pattern am making multi colored drifloons for my family... i already made one for myself I'm going to try to make my old Pokemon pearl team... do you have empoleon on yur list?

Marie said...

This is the 3rd time I have attempted to do this pattern, and I'm still getting a flat Boo ): I think I'm not reading your patterns well, could there be any way for you to make a short video tutorial about how to read this particular pattern? I'm mostly having trouble with the ball pattern ): Thank you so much, your amigurumis are lovely!

PikaFan4lifeX3 said...

i tried and tried this pattern but it turned out wrong...it started to curl! i dont understand...i followed every step then at rnd 5 and 6 it started curling.Plz respond! i need help! (P.S. i'm a little new to this crochet stuff.)

WolfDreamer said...

Are you repeating the sequence in each round? Or perhaps making too many increases?

Each round should be worked by repeating the sequence. (for example: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc - you would repeat those instructions around to the first stitch - increasing each round by 8 sc evenly.

You can use the number in ( ) at the end of each round, to keep count and check your work. Each round should contain that number of stitches when the round is completed.

If you're very new to working in rounds, it might help to check out some videos on youtube about crochet in rounds, using round markers, etc. :D

PikaFan4lifeX3 said...

Oh ok :D tyvm im making lugia now :) i'm on the part where u increase to go to the body :) thnx for the suggestion^_^ videos r the best thing EVAR!!! lolz

Anonymous said...

Where it says:

Rnd 3: sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next 2 sc, sc next 6 sc, 2 sc in last 2 sc (20)

It makes no sense.. in row 3 if I do six, 2 in one, six, 2 in one again, it doesn't go all the way around, and doesn't make 20. Do I just do 8 single crochet instaed? To make it match?

Anonymous said...

hello im new to crocheting and i have the round head part done but im having a bit of trouble on the neck ive basically got it 24 sc round but the part that is confusing me is Rnd 3 the whole * thing is throwing me off im not understand it and also the sk 2 of rnd 1 im not sure what im skipping and on which round ? please help me.

gramma Suzi said...

Hi, I love the drifloon pattern and did make him for my granddaughter who collects pokemon, but she really wants drifblim, any chance you will be doing a pattern for him before Christmas, I will gladly pay for it. I have searched and searched for one but there just does not seem to be one available! Can you possibly help me? Thank you.

WolfDreamer said...

I have been swamped by work most of this year (nice, but exhausting) and it doesn't leave much time for free pattern design. I can certainly try. I can't promise anything, but I can try. :-)

gramma Suzi said...

Thank you, I am still searching and hoping to find a drifblim pattern before Christmas. Really hope you can come up with one. Thank you for trying!


Unknown said...

So I have a complaint to lodge with you. I had no problems making the drifloon at all, but now that I've completed it, I keep waking up to random children in my room holding onto its strings. They aren't even that big so I can't eat them, so I don't know what to do with them all. You should put a disclaimer on the pattern next time!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Wolfdreamer for this awesome pattern! I finally finished this project yesterday. I had trouble with the cloud topper yarn shaping so after many attempts I finally made my own piece which works I guess lol. Anyways, it came out great, thanks so much for releasing this free pattern. It's really nostalgic for me from Pokemon Diamond so I'm glad its hanging in my room now. You're very talented :)

Ally st said...

You are simply amazing. Thabk you very much for you patterns

ausmalbilderkinder said...

Very useful article for those who like to knit into pokemon, if you like to color, you can visit pokemon ausmalbilder kostenlos

Ro said...

Hi, I'm not sure if you still read these comments but I had a question! I'm currently working on the cloud cap and I'm stuck on row 7. I have 36 stitches at the end of row 6, and following the instructions of row 7 I finish with 20 stitches not the 30 written on the pattern. Is this correct?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...