All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

DS Game Carrying Case


This is a DS carrying case I made in a couple of hours one afternoon when I really needed something to carry my DS around in,  with the games.   I'll get some better pictures,  especially of the sides to make it easier for you to see how it's put together... but right now my camera is out of town with my oldest daughter,  so it'll be a few days.

Anyway,  I'm including the 'pattern'  which is really just a set of guidelines more than a set pattern.  Adjust it as you need to fit your yarn/hook/Game System and the games or cartridges you have.


DS Carrying Case


Sport Weight Yarn (any color)
G Hook
Yarn Needle

This is one of those patterns where it’s more of a set of ‘guidelines’  that you can manipulate to fit your application.   In this case,  your DS/DSLite/DSI or other hand held game system.

I used a sport yarn with a firm hand to it,  so if you use a softer sport yarn,  or if you use a worsted weight yarn, you’ll probably have to adjust the numbers of stitches to fit your DS.  Baby Yarns will likely result in a little bit smaller case,  so again,  you’ll  need to adjust. 

I’d recommend that you ‘check’ your progress against your DS (or other game system) frequently while making this case,  and adjust in whatever way is needed so that it fits.

MAIN COMPARTMENT:

Row 1:  Ch 25,  HDC in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across  (24)
Row 2-26:  HDC in each HDC across.  (24)
F/O weave in ends.


GUSSET  (SIDES) 

Make 2:

Row 1:  Ch 5.  HDC in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across (4)
Row 2-12:  HDC in each HDC across (4)
F/O, weave in ends.

Carefully pin gussets to the beginning row and end row of main compartment,  and along the side and bottom of gussets (this creates the compartment for the DS.   Using your crochet hook,  SC along the sides and around bottom of Gussets to attach the gussets to the main piece.  (HINT:   Using a size or two smaller hook for this step often helps to get a cleaner and better fitting ‘piping’ along the sides)



GAME FLAP:

Row 1:  Ch 25,  HDC in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across  (24)
Row 2-28:  HDC in each HDC across  (24)
F/O, weave in ends.


NETS (Game pockets – make 2): 

Row 1:  Ch 24.  HDC 2nd Ch from hook.  * Ch 1,  skip one ch,  HDC next ch *  Repeat * to * across to last ch.  (11 ch1 spaces)
Row 2:  Ch 1.  HDC in first HDC.  * ch 1,  skip ch1 space,  HDC in next HDC *  Repeat * to * across  (11 spaces)
Row 3-7:  Repeat Row 2.
F/O weave in ends.

Sew game pockets/nets to game flap as shown,  leave room between the two nets/pockets  to allow for ‘folding’.   Sew top to bottom as desired to create individual pockets for various games/cartridges as shown or as desired.

Sew game flap to the bottom front of the main compartment,  so that the pockets face ‘up’  and will fold up and rest against the front of the main compartment.


COVER/FLAP:

Row 1: Attach yarn to right corner of back of main compartment.   CH1 and HDC in same corner stitch as join,  HDC across (24)
Row 2-8:  HDC in each HDC across  (24)
Row 9:  DEC over first 2 HDC,  HDC in each remaining HDC to end  (23)
Row 10:  repeat row 9  (22)
Row 11:  repeat row 9  (21)
Row 12:  repeat row 9  (20)
Row 13:  repeat row 9  (19)
Row 14:  repeat row 9  (18)
Row 15:  DEC over first 2 HDC of row,  HDC in each HDC across until last two HDC,  DEC over last 2 HDC  (16)
Repeat row 15,  (Decrease at each end of row)  until 2 HDC left in row.  Dec over last 2 HDC.

F/O.   Make two equal length chains as long as you like for tying.   Attach one chain to point of flap,  the other to the bottom of the main compartment  (fold up the game flap and determine where you want the second tie placed.)

Decorate as desired,  or just load up and go!  :D

This pattern is an original pattern by Linda Potts (May 2010).  Please do not claim this pattern as your own.  If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site.  You may print and keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern. 


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Idea and Pattern. Not sure if my son would like it unless I make it black with maybe a Zelda patch on the outside. Very very cool.

Rachael said...

Oh this is GORGEOUS! <3 The DS case that came with my DSi won't fit all my games, and it gets real buldgey. Methinks I'll stich a little Pokémotif onto the front, too!

Brilliant, as always!

Jessica said...

I love the case! I've only made basic pouches to hold DS' in (after making my husband one I had a few other requests) but yours is much better :-)

Jenny said...

It's great! I've been toying with the idea of getting my own DS, as my 10yo doesn't share his, but my 5yo will want mine....what a dilemma.

Amy said...

I happened on your site quite by accident and all I can say is WOW..
My grandma taught me to crochet when I was a little girl ( many moons ago). Your work is incredible and the fact you are kind enough to share these patterns with all of us is beyond words. When I saw the Mario patterns I was beside myself..my grandchildren are totally obsessed with these characters. I can't wait to get started on all of them.
I will be coming to your blog from today on. Look forward to a Princess Peach for my own little Princess..she would love it. Thank you for sharing your incredible talent.

Katy said...

Ohh, what a nice DS case! The case my DS is in hardly holds the DS, it's charger, a few games, and a cleaning cloth (that doesn't work). I should try this; thanks, Wolfdreamer!!!

Ine said...

XD omg, will u come be my second mom!?!?! I love this!!! I love pokemon just as much as ur daughters so this stuff is AMAZING :D awesome job with all of it!!!!

thelovelychemist said...

D8< THIS IS AMAZING!! I made my own DS a little while after I got it because I didn't have money to buy one, so I utilized my novice sewing skills and made a somewhat nice carrying case. I like it better than what they sell at the nearest gamestop, but oh how I wish it were as safe and useful as this one here. >.<

If only I could crochet.. Great work! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Im just learning how to crochet but this case is amazing i love my ds light and wanted a case to carry it and games in, and this is perfect

Will it work if i made it using cotton yarn or worsted weight?

Kat

WolfDreamer said...

Yes, it would work in other yarn weights and hook sizes, however, you will have to adjust the number of stitches of each part/piece in order for it to fit your DS.

If you make it in worsted weight yarn - and follow the pattern exactly, it will be too big for your DS.

As the pattern says... it's really more of a set of guidelines to give you an idea of how to make your own to fit whatever game system you have, or to accomodate whatever yarn you wish to use. :D

MSF said...

Awesome pattern as usual! I made one for my new 3DS and I'm gonna make one for my boyfriend too. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This is great! But I think u should rlly rlly make smurfs! That would be so amazing!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I do crocheting as a hobby sometimes! But I didn't know what else to do with crocheting, but your step to step instructions with toys are sooo awesome1 I'm gunna make some toys for my frands!

PikaFan4lifeX3 said...

:O this is AMAZING!!! i hope one day i can make this!! :D

caoimhe(11) said...

HI i was wondering if you could put up a pattern for a gameboy carry case it keeps falling out of my pocket plz reply a.s.a.p.

Unknown said...

i love all of ur patterns and the ds pouch is just ingenuse. sorry if i spelt that wrong. i would love it if u could make a riolu or an absol pattern
~poke-nerd~Lacario~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...