All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Torchic Plushie



Well Torchic is finished. I can't begin to tell you how many requests I've had for this one. :)

The pictures are a little bright, but I'm at the mercy of the Texas summer sun and I've yet to find the dimmer switch on that sucker LOL. I wish I could, the heat and drought are about to really put the whammy on all my plants (the jasmines in the background were drooping terribly when I took those pictures today)

Anyway, pattern is here... I still don't have a pattern tester, so if you find anything wrong or have any questions, just let me know and I'll get back as soon as I can :)


Torchic

Materials:

WW yarn in organge and gold (I used RedHeart SS in Pumpkin and Gold)
F Hook
Fiberfill
Yarn needle
Small amounts of black and white felt for eyes

Notes:

Gauge isn't important, as long as your hook and yarn choices result in a fairly tight stitch so that the fiberfill won't poke through.

The numbers at the end of each round/row indicate the total number of stitches that should be in each round/row.


HEAD:

Using Orange:

Rnd 1: 8 sc in Magic Ring (8)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)
Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (32)
Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (40)
Rnd 6: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (48)
Rnd 7: sc in next 11 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (52)
Rnd 8-14: sc in each sc around (52)
Rnd 15: sc in next 11 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (48)
Rnd 16: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (40)
Rnd 17: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (32)
Rnd 18: sc in next 2 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (24)
Rnd 19: sc in next sc, dec over next 2 sc around (16)


F/O and stuff firmly, shaping as you stuff. Do not close opening.


BODY:

Using Orange:

Rnd 1: 8 sc in Magic Ring (8)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)
Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (32)
Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (40)
Rnd 6: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (48)
Rnd 7-12: sc in each sc around (48)
Rnd 13: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (40)
Rnd 14: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (32)
Rnd 15: sc in next 2 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (24)
Rnd 16: sc in next sc, dec over next 2 sc around (16)

F/O and stuff firmly, shaping as you stuff. Do not close opening.


FEET:

Make 4 using Gold:
(do not chain 1 before turning on each row, work first sc in the last sc of previous row)

Row 1: Ch 3, sc in 2nd ch from hook and next sc (2)
Row 2-4: sc in ea\ch sc (2)
Row 5: 2 sc in first sc, sc in each remaining sc across (3)
Row 6: sc in each sc across (3)
Row 7: repeat row 5 (4)
Row 8: repeat row 6 (4)
Row 9: repeat row 5 (5)
Row 10: repeat row 6 (5)
Row 11: repeat row 5 (6)
Row 12: Ch 5, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in next 2 chs. Skip 1 sc of row 11, sl st in next sc. One toe made. Ch 5 (repeat sequence for a total of three 'toes') Put last sl st in the outside loop of the sc on the end of row 11.

F/O

Sew together two feet using a whipstitch.

BEAK:

Using Gold:

Rnd 1: 5 sc in Magic Ring (5)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (15)
Rnd 4: sc in next 7 sc, in next sc work sc, hdc, sc, sc in last 7 sc (16 sc, 1 hdc)

F/O leave tail for sewing on to head later. Don't stuff.


TAIL:

Using orange:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in Magic Ring (6)
Rnd 2: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (8)
Rnd 3: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (10)
Rnd 4: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (12)
Rnd 5: sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (14)

F/O Stuff very lightly, leave opening.


FLAME HEADDRESS:

(Gold base flames, make 2 small and one large)

SMALL:

Rnd 1: 4 sc in Magic Ring (4)
Rnd 2: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (6)
Rnd 3: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (8)
Rnd 4: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (10)
Rnd 5: sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd 6: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (8)
Rnd 7: sc in each sc around (8)

LARGE:

Rnd 1: 4 sc in Magic Ring (4)
Rnd 2: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (6)
Rnd 3: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (8)
Rnd 4: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (10)
Rnd 5: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (12)
Rnd 6: sc in each sc around (12)
Rnd 7: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (10)
Rnd 8: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (8)
Rnd 9: sc in each sc around (8)

Arranging the flame bases with the large piece in the middle and the two smaller pieces on each side, sew together at the bottom of the pieces. Draw tighter until they resemble the picture. Fasten well. (some additional tacking may be necessary further up the pieces to get the look desired) You may want to *lightly* stuff the base pieces, I didn't, but it may work better for you)

FLAME ACCENT:

Using orange, make 2:

Row 1: Ch 4. Sc in in 2nd ch from hook, and each ch across (do not chain 1, turn) (3)
Row 2: 2 sc in each sc across (turn) (6)
Row 3: Ch 4. Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc next ch, hdc in last ch. Sk 1 sc in row 2, sl st in next sc. Ch 4. Repeat sequence for total of three 'spikes' for flame accent.

F/O

Placing the accent piece in the center of the front as shown in the pictures, sew to the base flames.


WING/FEATHERS:

Using Gold, make 4:

Row 1: Ch 4. sc in 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch across. turn (3)
Row 2: 2 sc in each sc across. turn (6)
Row 3: 2 sc in each sc across. turn (12)
Row 4: Ch 4. Sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next ch, dc in next ch. Sk 2 sc in row 3, sl st in next sc of row 3. Repeat sequence to end for total of 4 points.

F/O.

Tack the 4 'wings' to the body at the neck opening as shown in pictures. There should be a gap/opening at the front of the body. Overlapping is perfectly fine, it creates the 'ruffling' effect.


FINAL ASSEMBLY:

I highly recommend first pinning all the pieces together to ensure you have them where you want before sewing together. Begin by sewing the head to the body matching up the neck openings and keeping the wing/feathers as you tacked them down. Add feet to the bottom as shown, leaving the front 'toes' and the back 'claw' loose. Sew tail to back side centered between the feet. Sew beak to head as shown in the picture centering it to the 'gap' of the feathers in the front. Add the flame headdress to the top center of the head, sewing it firmly in place as shown.

Cut two oval shapes from black felt for eyes and sew/glue them in place as shown. Add two tiny circles of white felt to the eyes for 'catch lights' as shown.



Torchic character and Pokemon are copyright Nintendo.

This pattern is an original pattern by Linda Potts (June 2009). Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern.

46 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I found your blog via the ami group on yahoo and I'm very interested in your projects. If you'd like a tester, I'd be happy to volunteer. I can usually turn them around in 1-3 days (I work 2 jobs so it slows me a little bit).

Let me know if you need me.

Michelle

Bookworm said...

Found your blog randomly through google and I'm glad. You have some really awesome patterns here. I've been looking for some cool patterns to make gifts for friends and for my host sisters (all 5 of them and I can't make them the same thing) but some of the patterns are too much for me to buy several of them. Your pokemon patterns are adorable. You mentioned requests, if it's not too much and if your interested, I've been looking for a good Yoshi pattern and a Snoopy pattern. I've a few of each but their either missing parts or don't look too much like the real thing. Anyways, your patterns are really cute. Probably too complicated for me, since I'm a beginner but I want to try it anyways.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you very much for the compliments :D

I appreciate the offer of being a tester, but at the moment, my tester is back (her mother is well again) and hopefully her health will remain good.

And about Yoshi and Snoopy patterns... somewhere in my notebooks, from a couple of years ago, I have a pattern I made for snoopy (well, joe cool really) I'll see if I can dig it up, make one and get it online :)

Yoshi I haven't done yet, but my 15 year old daughter has been bugging the living daylights outta me to make one LOL. I do have a good bit of work to do right now, but when I can get some more free time, I'll see what I can come up with :)

Gloria P. said...

cute.....I have a friend that loves roosters I think I would like to make this for her, thanks for sharing the pattern.

-R said...

Amazing! I'm printing this one out and putting it away to do for my son as a surprise - we love all your patterns! They are so accurate, it's amazing! PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING! We are your biggest fans! :-)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow-this is awesome! I jsut found your blog via the Mario mushrooms on Craftster. I'll be linking to that project on Saturday if you don't mind. I'm so glad I found your blog...you have so many amazing projects here! I'll be linking.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you for the comments and of course you can link to the patterns if you like :)

Alhana said...

Hello WolfDreamer!
I've just found your blog and wow~ How could I miss it before? Your pokemon plushies are very cute. I think I'm trying a Torchic or two ;-)
Thanks for sharing the pattern!
xx

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy the patterns :D

lucerito said...

Wow! I really enjoyed your pokemon dolls. My 7-year old kid is a big fan of Pokemon, and his favorite character is Piplup. I would love to have its pattern, it would be a big surprise for my kid. Anyway, thanks for sharing with us.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you very much! I've been working on work lately, and have been kinda limited on how much time I have to crochet, but Piplup is one of a few on my list to do. I'll see if I can't get one done soon. :D

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of pokemon but noone ever makes a pattern for ponyta or rapidash any chances?

also away from pokemon how about a Yoshi? i adore yoshi and would really like to make one.

WolfDreamer said...

I have considered Ponyta and Rapidash both, mostly because I have them on my team in Platinum, and I really like them both. Problem is, they pose a few structural issues in crochet. I could do it, but finding a way to do it, so that it's fairly easy... I try to post patterns that nearly anyone could do, without having to be a super-expert or anything.

Yoshi, well I was thinking about him, but I found a lovely pattern by Picuu at Picuu.blogspot.com . It's not a free pattern, but it's quite good, and I don't want to re-invent the wheel LOL

I'll keep thinking on how to make that Ponyta tho... I'd really like one myself :)

Anonymous said...

man your mega cool for making a torchic pattern. ITs my favorite pokemon because in every pokemon dungeon game i seem to have a torchic personality:D. this will be the second of your patterns that i will make (mew was my first).kee up the good work:D

Anonymous said...

i was reading the pattern before i do it and i saw you said make four feet do i really need to make four feet or is it a mistake?

WolfDreamer said...

Yup, four feet :D ....

The feet aren't made in the round, you sew two of the feet together with whipstitches to make a foot. The feet arent stuffed.

Anonymous said...

thanks for clearing up that part of the pattern for me :)

Unknown said...

The pattern is perfect my torchic came out wonderfully along with my drifloon that i made for my younger brother:D! i was also wondering if you would consider making mudkip or maybe a chimchar because i am quite found of these pokemon and i am not to good at making patterns lol:D

WolfDreamer said...

mudkip and chimchar are on the list... but the list is long LOL. I make the ones I have the yarn colors for at the time :) I can;t always get the colors I want, so sometimes have to wait a bit till they're available here. But eventually I'll get to all the pokemon on the list :)

Sabine Rose said...

I finished Torchic and it turned out great! My youngest daughter is delighted (my older daughter got Pachirisu and my son is waiting for Mew).

The hardest part was sewing the head flames, but after a couple of pinning, rearranging, etc, I finally got it done!

I posted photos on my blog (http://lefildorion.blogspot.com) as well as on Amigurumi Made in France - a French speaking group blog for amigurumi crafters (http://ami-gurumi.blogspot.com/). They all liked your patterns very much !

Thank you!

WolfDreamer said...

Thanks Sabine Rose :)

I agree that the head flames are a bit difficult at times. I found that using a curved upholstery needle helps alot in cases like that. That, and using a pair of pliers to pull it thru when it gets *really* stubborn LOL

LΛW said...

can u make a pattern for SNORLAX?
its a sleepy-pokemon..
it just look so cute.. lol..
ty bfore :)

G-Tami said...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WolfDreamer could you make a Lucario? I've been looking for a pattern everywhere! It's my favourite without a doubt and i love the movie (Lucario and the Mystery of Mew) I've already started a Mew and it would be awesome to have the pair!

By the way: This is the best Post on how to crochet pokemon!

WolfDreamer said...

Well, I've been trying to find a simple way to make Lucario for a while now. From a design standpoint, Lucario is a nightmare. He's got a large heavy head, with very thin neck, heavier upper body with small thin waist. His overall design that looks wonderful in print, doesn't translate well to fiber... without an armature of some kind inside. I try to keep things as uncomplicated as possible so that everyone can make the dolls. I may, at some point, come up with a way to make him without the complicated armature... but that's most likely in the future yet :)

Anonymous said...

i've been trying my hardest to make this and i just dont seem to end up with the right amount of stitches at the end. i always get mixed up at Rnd16. i have way more the 40 stitches. do you dec then single crochet 2 then decrease again?

WolfDreamer said...

Rnd 16: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (40)

Sc in each of the next 4 sc, then work a decrease over the next 2 sc, then work a sc in each of the next 4 sc, decrease over the next 2 sc... continue around to the beginning of the round. :)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh. so you just keep repeating til you make it back to the begining of the row. that makes a lot of sense. you can tell im new at crocheting.

WolfDreamer said...

Yup it's a repeating pattern (most of this type of doll making is).

:)

Chloe said...

I am currently trying to make a Torchic and have run into a probelm with the headress. I have three little round blobs and I don't get how you got yours done.
Can you help me?

WolfDreamer said...

After you make the pieces, arrange them in the shape you see, and sew them together where the pieces meet. You shouldn't need to add any stuffing to the pieces, just flatten them out, and arrange them in the shape needed. :D

Anonymous said...

if u do make lucario u should use some pipe cleaner in the head bit because it will help keep the head up

Anonymous said...

me encanto esta pagina, mi hijo es fanatico de los pokemon y lo unico que habia podido hacerle es la pokebola, pero con estos patrones, segurament le dare una gran sorpresa. gracias

Im facinated with this site, thanks for the free patterns, my son is a huge fan of pokemon cartoons, and im sure, it gone a be a big big surprise to find this caracters at his bed. really thanks again.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for these patterns. I'm in the middle of Torchic right now for a little girl who is an avid Pokemon fan and just had a cancer relapse. Hoping I can lift her spirits as she is going through chemo.

Unknown said...

Sorry. The "Marshal" comment up above was mine. Didn't realize that my hubby was logged in. lol Thank you again for these wonderful patterns!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!!!! you are the greatest pokemon crocheter ever!!!!!!!! my friend asked me if i would make him a pokedoll and i had found you on ravelry the week before so i'm making him your hoot-hoot doll, i love all your patterns!!! would you consider adding mudkip? i am a bit addicted 2 crochet and also pokemon so i luv this blog!!!!!!! makayla :)

emma fran said...

awww so cute!!!! i was wondering if maybe you could try to make a turtwig or a tortera(it would be hard though!) or maybe a togepie.... anyway, thanks again for the awesome patterns!

Anonymous said...

Can you make a snivy plush? He's my favorite pokemon and I'm really, really, bad at coming up with my own patterns. By the way, you are the world's best pokemon crocheter! I don't get how you do it bot you're AMAZING!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you pretty pretty please make a snivy plush? He's my starter pokemon on white and I love him sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! I would really apriciate it. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been trying to make one but I can't and I've been trying to find a pattern for like a month now, but I can't find it on the web.

Anonymous said...

Can you make a snivy by any chance? please reply.

Anonymous said...

I'd really love it if you would make a Blaziken pattern or maybe a raquaza! Those are my favorite pokemon!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Team Pokepals here!(if you didn't see my comment on azumarril) I just made Torchic and it turned out brilliant! please reply!

Anonymous said...

I love your patterns. They are really easy to understand.

In truth I have really wanted to make a Pidgey for a friend of mine, but no one seems to have a pattern for it. I also want to make a Gyarados, but I'm not sure how...
Could you please help me find a way to make these for my friends?

Yammie said...

Thank you for sharing . All your patterns r awesome and adorable ,

Maca Marskell said...

Hi, thank you so much for your patterns, this is the second one I'm making for my son. But I'm stuck with the tail at the moment. The instructions have me completely confuse. I start with 6sc in a magic ring then sc in the next 2 st followed by 2sc in next st and in the rest of the row? That would make 10 st at the end of that round not 8 as estated in the pattern.
Help, please xx

WolfDreamer said...

It's sc in each of next 2 sc, then an increase in the next (3rd) sc. Then repeat that sequence (2 sc, Inc) for 8 sc.

:-)

Unknown said...

Im not sure if you are still accepting requests, but can you please do Talonflame and Hawlucha. Talonflame is my absolute favorite Pokemon and my sister and I have tried making Hawlucha in different ways, from crocheting to sewing to clay, but have always failed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...