All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

SQUIRTLE




This is a little squirtle I recently finished for the girls. It took me longer than usual, due to the fact I have a bad infection in my eye, which causes my eye to water constantly, making everything blurry all the time. It should clear up in a few days but it's been really a pain trying to work with blurry eyes. LOL (if you click on the picture, it should give you the full sized image)

Here's the pattern, and like with the Pichu, my pattern tester is still out of town for at least another week possibly more, so this one hasn't been tested by anyone but me. I've tried to make sure it's complete and error free, but if you do run into anything at all, let me know and I'll make changes asap. :)

Enjoy!

Squirtle

MATERIALS:

WW yarn approx 3 oz of cornflower blue, 1.5 ounces of med. chocolate, 1.5 ounces of tan. Very small amt. of white
F Hook
Felt scraps in black and white
sewing thread to match the felt
small amt of black embroidery thread (although a doubled length of black sewing thread works well)
needles for sewing and weaving in yarn ends
Fiberfill

NOTES:

Gauge isn't very important here. Just make sure that your needle, yarn and tension combine to leave fairly tight and consistent stitches so that the fiberfill won't come through. I also recommend that you use the 'invisible decrease' (working decrease stitches in front loops only). It's not entirely invisible, but it does reduce or eliminate the gaps that regular decreases create when working in rounds.

Numbers in ( ) at the end of each round/row indicate how many total stitches should be in that round/row.

This doll ends up about 6 inches high if materials and hook size that are listed are used. If you use a different sized hook or yarns, your doll will be of a different size.


HEAD:

Using blue:

Rnd 1: 8 sc in Magic Ring (8)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (16)

Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)

Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (32)

Rnd 5-8: sc in each sc around (32)

Rnd 9: sc in each of next 12 sc, 2 sc in each of next three sc, 3 sc in each of next 2 sc, 2 sc in each of next 3 sc, sc in each of next 12 sc. (42)

Rnd 10: sc in each of next 12 sc, (working in Front loops only) dec over 2 sc (three times), dec3 over 3 sc (twice), dec over 2 sc (three times), (working again through both loops) sc in each of next 12 sc. (32)

Rnd 11: sc in each of next 2 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (24)

Begin stuffing head here if you haven't already. Continue to stuff as you progress.

Rnd 12: sc in next sc, dec over next 2 sc around (16)

Rnd 13: Dec over next 2 sc around (8)

F/O. Add any stuffing needed to properly shape the head.

BELLY PLATE:

Using tan:

Rnd 1: 8 sc in Magic Ring (8)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (16)

Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)

Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (32)

Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (40)

Rnd 6-7: sc in each sc around (40) F/O, weave in ends.

Using black sewing thread and needle, add the markings to the belly plate using the photo as a guide for placement.


BACK PLATE:

Using chocolate color:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring. (6)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12)

Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (18)

Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)

Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (30)

Rnd 6: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (36)

Rnd 7: sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (42)

Rnd 8-10: sc in each sc around (42)

F/O

Sew the back plate to the belly plate (easing in the two extra stitches) stuffing carefully as you go. Shape the body with the stuffing as you sew.

ARMS:


Rnd 1: 5 sc in magic ring. (5)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (10)

Rnd 3-6: sc in each sc around (10)

Rnd 7: sc in each of next 4 sc. ch1 and turn, sk first sc, sc in each of next 2 sc, sl st into end of row. (2 sc) F/O

Stuff arm moderately firm, but not too stiff. Create the fingers as follows:

Attach the yarn in between rounds 2 and 3 (beginning rounds of arm) and ch3. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, sl st in between rnds 1 and 2. Ch3. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, sl st in between rnds 1 and 2. Ch3. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, sl st in between rnds 2 and 3. F/O weave in ends

LEGS:

Rnd 1: 7 sc in magic ring (7)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (14)

Rnd 3: (working in Front Loops Only for this round) sc in next 5 sc, dec over next 2 sc (two times - toe formed), sc in next 5 sc (12)

Rnd 4-8: sc in each sc around (12)

F/O

Stuff the foot and leg carefully keeping the toe formation. Make the toes as follows:

Attach the yarn on the right side of the toe, in one of the free loops left in round 3 and ch3. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, sl st in next free loop. Ch3. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, sl st in next free loop. Ch3. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, sl st in next free loop. F/O weave in ends.


TAIL:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)

Rnd 2: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (9)

Rnd 3-7: sc in each sc around (9)

Rnd 8: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (12)

Rnd 9: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (15)

Rnd 10: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (18)

Rnd 11: sc next 2 sc, roll the small starting end of the tail up to meet the current round. Sc in next 2 sc AND going through a couple of the stitches of the tail end roll (securing the roll) sc in each of the remaining sc around (18)

Rnd 12: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc, around (15)

Rnd 13: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc, around (12)

Rnd 14: sc in each sc around (12)

You will likely want to begin stuffing at this point, continuing as you progress. Gently shape the tail as you stuff it.

Rnd 15: sc in next 2 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (9)

Rnd 16: repeat rnd 14 (9)

Rnd 17: sc in next 4 sc, turn. sk first sc, sc in next 2 sc, sl st in last sc. F/O


ASSEMBLY:

Using the photos as a guide, sew head, arms and legs to body. (I recommend pinning all the parts first, to be certain that you like the placement, then sew each piece to the body. The arms have a small 'shoulder' (last two rows worked). This shoulder goes on the 'back' shell plate, and aids in positioning the arms.

Positing the tail at the base of the back shell, with the 'cape' (last two rows worked) going underneath the body. Sew firmly, taking care to positing the tail as desired. The curl should be on the 'bottom' side of the tail. (refer to pictures)

With white yarn, ch approx 77 (do not fasten off just yet). Using pins, attach this chain carefully along the very edge of the back shell, going around the arms, legs and tail as shown in the pictures. if you need to add some to the chain to make it long enough, do so, otherwise remove what chains are necessary to make the chain meet evenly and F/O. Sew carefully in place with sewing thread and needle.

Cut two pieces of black felt for eyes, and two very small white ovals for catchlights in eyes. Sew or glue in place carefully. Using either black embroidery thread, or a doubled length of sewing thread, add nostrils and mouth (using the formation created while constructing the head leaving the unworked loops) as a guide. (see pictures for help with placement)



Squirtle and Pokemon is copyright Nintendo.

This crochet pattern is an original pattern by Linda Potts (May 2009). Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern.

37 comments:

Dragonflymom said...

My son makes me check out your blog daily. (which I don't mind one bit) and he will be so excited when he comes home from school. This is waayyy to cute, and again you have just designed Squirtle so incredibly well and soooo cute!!! My youngest just saw it and said, "pokemon Pokemon"

Dragonflymom said...

Sorry closed that before I had the chance to tell you that I hope your eye clears up soon.

WolfDreamer said...

Your post made my day :)

It reminds me so much of my kids when they were younger LOL. My youngest child is 11, and it seems like just yesterday we were all terrified of falling asleep with her awake, because we'd wake up with mustaches drawn on us, and circles around our eyes (we made sure all her markers were always the kinda that washed off easily) I guess we've been a family of Pokemon fans for about as long as pokemon has been in America LOL

Thank you for the compliments and well wishes :D (I'm hoping my eye clears up soon too, this is really becoming a drag).

Terri said...

Hi-I just wanted to let you know that these are the most realistic and well done Pokemon I've seen. Thank you very, very much for sharing the patterns.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you for the compliments! Enjoy :D

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what round on the back plate do you add the white. And is the front belly smaller then the back. I have done the belly p;ate but it seems that it looks like it not the same size as the back plate. should I had more rounds to make the size the same as the back plate. thank-you so much for the help.

WolfDreamer said...

Yes, the belly plate is smaller by a couple of rounds than the back plate. The white is added after it's all together (see the assembly portion of the pattern). It's sewn on separately so as to go around the arms, legs and tail.

:D

Trần Ngọc Uyên Phương said...

Hihi, first of all I'd like to say thank you for sharing such a cute pattern.
I followed your guide and made this one yesterday (just for my nephew on 1/6)
The pattern is completely wonderful and easy to follow. I finished crocheting in about 2 hours. So amazing, my nephew likes it so much that he let it beside him all yesterday night...

Just a small comment here, in the pattern, I didn't see any decoration for the Back Plate, but I did add some decoration (Same as your guide in the belly plate)

Anyway, love your pattern so much. Today I'm crocheting Pokemon Ball... I wish that you will continue sharing any new Pokemon pattern... I will be very happy to be a tester for your pattern.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you for compliments and I'm so very glad your nephew enjoys his Squirtle!

You're right, I didn't add any decorations to the back plate. Several reasons for this, I was having eye troubles and kinda wanted to finish up, and I really couldn't find a good picture of what kinds of lines are on the back plate.

I'm fairly certain that he has hexagon shaped designs on the back, but it looked very cute without any designs and I figured I could research it more later and add them when I had a better idea of what to do.

Perhaps I'll get around to doing that soon, but I bet yours looks fantasic! :)

Melissa said...

My boyfriend is now begging me to make him a squirtle. Thanks for the pattern. A wartortle would be cool with the sunglasses.

WolfDreamer said...

I've got alot of pokemon on the list, wartortle is one of them :) I get them done in order of whichever yarns I can find. When I get the right colors, I'll get to making one. Living in the boonies has it's benefits, but a dependable supply of yarn aint' one of 'em LOL

Crystal said...

Hi (:
I just wanted to say how thankful I am of your awesome and adorable pokemon patterns, they are even better than the ones that you can buy on etsy! I love your squirtle so much, I just finished the body and head; just need to make the arms and legs. I'm showed the pattern to my sister and she thought it was so cute that I decided to make it for her for her birthday. I can't wait to give it to her, and I can't wait for you to come up with other patterns!! They are appreciated much <3333

Crystal said...

Oh and this is just a thought, but it would be so cool if you made an eevee and a charmander!! these are just suggestions that would be sooo adorable.. Anyway thank you for all your other patterns!

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you very much for your comments Crystal :) I really appreciate them.

About Eevee and Charmander... they are both very high up on the list...the only real thing I lack is the yarn for charmander at the moment... and eevee I need to do so more figuring on how to do some of the parts on her (without making them too complicated, I try to keep the patterns easy enough for at least most crocheters)

Keep watching, I'll try and get at least charmander up in the next couple of weeks. I have to work on them in between work projects, but I get in a few hours a day usually :)

Judy said...

Wow !!! I'm in pokemon heaven, my grandson is going to love these. Thank you so much for sharing your talent and patterns with us. I have a question about rnd 10 of the head,
Rnd 10: sc in each of next 12 sc, (working in Front loops only) dec over 2 sc (three times), dec3 over 3 sc (twice), dec over 2 sc (three times), (working again through both loops) sc in each of next 12 sc. (32)
See where it says dec3 over 3sc, is that a typeo and if not could you explain how this is accomplished, any help would be appreciated.
Hugs, Judy

WolfDreamer said...

Sure! Dec3 (dec over 3) is the worked the same as a standard dec, except with 3 sc instead of 2.

Pull up a loop through each of the next 3 sc, yo and draw through all loops on the hook.

It gives the very front of the mouth that slightly tighter definition to get the look you need :)

Judy said...

Your a sweetheart, thanks for responding so quickly. If you only knew how many unfinished projects I have because I can't understand the written pattern. It's nice to know that I can come here and ask you if there's something I don't understand. Looking forward to your next creation.
Thanks again and Hugs, Judy

Shelly said...

Hi there, love your pokemons!! I was wondering if there is a substitute for the felted eyes because I don't have any felts...:(

teakaycee said...

Love you pokemon creations!
I have watched my friend Aurora create several of these from your site and just love them. My boys got to looking and would now like me to make them some. So thank you for the patterns... I cant wait to start on this one!

many blessings

Anonymous said...

we love all your patterns we are looking for a cute Charmander pattern and cant find one anywhere. are you going to make one?

Jesca said...

I made the squirtle and it turned out great :) I really love all your patterns acctualy.
I would really appreciate a ninetales or dragonair pattern or advise on how to make one myself

Angel Chan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Baileymc said...

When I was making the head, I ran into a few problems. I followed the pattern exactly, double checked, and even tried it again. But the head always comes out with big lumps in some places and dents in others. I have a bad habit of making my stitches too tight. Do you think that could be part of the problem?

WolfDreamer said...

Well, the head is supposed to be 'shaped' somewhat by the stitches. The pattern of increases and decreases create the turtle 'face'.

It could be that you work tight that's the problem, it may be related to how you make your increases and decreases. Where ever possible, it's best to keep your increases and decreases under an even tension - no tighter or looser than your 'regular' tension.

You may wish to try using a hook one size LARGER than recommended, so that even though you work tight, the stitches will tend to be somewhat more even in tension.

baileymc said...

Thank you so much! I was worried that I was just doing something horribly wrong! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I LOVE all the pokemon patterns, by the way! :)

Mishalion said...

Hello! So, I'm attempting to make this squirtle, and it's been going good so far however I'm stuck and confused on the feet. Part of it is that I'm confused how I have 14 sc in the round, then dec over 2 twice and be left with 12, and I'm also not sure how the toe (from the "two times - toe formed" instruction) is formed...I'll keep trying to figure it out on my own (I'm also kinda new to using patterns) but any advice would be much appreciated. =]

Thanks!

P.S. I love your patterns!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love all your patterns and youre an amazing crocheter(: but what does 'sc in each of the next 2 sc, dec over next 2sc around' mean? I don't understand it, if you could help me with it that would be great:3 thanks^^

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a question about starting the pattern. When you say, "magic ring" is that the chain stitch? If so, how many stitches are needed?

thanks!

stinacoffeebean said...

I am having trouble with the arms...any suggestions to attach the yarn for the fingers???

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Can you explain the arm part where it says "sl st into end of row. (2 sc)" ?

What do you mean by the end of the row? And where does the 2 sc come in?

Thank you -- very excited to finish this project!! :)

WordCount said...

Hi! I love your patterns!
I was working on Squirtle and I just finished one leg, except I worked in the front loop only for round 3 like it said, but the free loops are now inside the tube of the work, so I don't understand how I'm supposed to attach the yarn to a free loop in order to make the toes. Any clarification you could provide would be lovely. Thank you so much!

tomboy480 said...

If this pattern works would you approve of me selling these at a anime con or to close friends people would luv these things

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for the patterns you shared! They are all
beatufull! Gracias! ✌

Unknown said...

So I think for the legs it needs to be BACK LOOPS ONLY not front loops. because this makes so there are no free loops for the toes. I love all your patterns :)

Krystal said...

Hi, i know i cannot sell the pattern or the item made from the pattern and if i share i have to link it back to this page. what i was wondering am i able to share the finished crocheted item on social media as long as i link it to this page?

Unknown said...

Ik worstel met het volgende: Zeer kleine am. van witte
F-haak en met F/O. Wat staat er eigenlijk? Ik ben geen geroutineerd haakster vandaar mijn vraag

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...