All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mijumaru Pokemon Plush

(Edit 2/12/11  -  I do know that the English name for this pokemon is Oshawott,  but at the time the doll was made,  they had not published any of the starters' names in English.  I can't change the title because that's also part of the URL,  so the page has to stay as is  :) - Linda)

Ok,  this one has been fun.  Most of you Pokemon fans are very familiar with the new games being released sometime next year called Pokemon Black and Pokemon White.  About a month ago or so, the starters for those games were 'leaked'  (although I'm pretty sure they intended to do that  LOL).  This one is Mijumaru  (it doesn't have an English name yet),  he's a Sea Otter Pokemon  (water type obviously).   If you'd like some more information about him and the other starters for Pokemon Black/White,  you can go to  Serebii.com.


I had a hard time finding pictures of the 'back' of this pokemon,  so this is my best 'guesstimate'  until such time as we get better/more pictures released,  as we get closer to the game release.   If I need to make any really serious changes to the pattern ...  I will.  But for now,  here it is :D

As always,  if you have any trouble with the pattern,  or find any errors,  just note me here and I'll get to it asap   :D

EDIT:  Sorry that the colors aren't right on here,  They looked right on the computer,  until I uploaded them.  I have no idea what happened.  I'll see if I can get other pictures with the colors right,  but you will see the correct colors if you visit the website noted above.  :D

Mijumaru


MATERIALS:

WW Yarn in white, light turquoise, dark blue, and scrap amounts of a light coral and a light brown
G Hook
Fiberfill
Small felt scraps in white and black
Small amount of black embroidery thread and suitable needle
Yarn Needle


NOTES:

Gauge isn’t terribly important, as long as your hook, yarn and individual tension result in an even, fairly tight stitch that will prevent the fiberfill from showing through.

Numbers in ( ) at the end of each round or row indicate how many total stitches should be in that round or row.


HEAD:
Using white

Rnd 1:  8 sc in magic ring  (8)
Rnd 2:  2 sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3:  sc in next sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (24)
Rnd 4:  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (32)
Rnd 5:  sc in next 3 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (40)
Rnd 6:  sc in next 4 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (48)
Rnd 7:  sc in next 5 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (56)
Rnd 8-15:  sc in each sc around  (56)
Rnd 16:  sc in next 5 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (48)
Rnd 17:  sc in next 4 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (40)
Rnd 18:  sc in next 3 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (32)
Rnd 19:  sc in next 2 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (24)
Rnd 20:  sc in next sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (16)
F/O.  Stuff head firmly while shaping.  Don not close the neck opening.

BODY:
Using light turquoise

Rnd 1:  8 sc in magic ring  (8)
Rnd 2:  2 sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3:  sc in next sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (24)
Rnd 4:  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (32)
Rnd 5:  sc in next 3 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (40)
Rnd 6:  sc in next 4 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (48)
Rnd 7-18:  sc in each sc around  (48)
Rnd 19:  sc in next 4 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (40)
Rnd 20: sc in each sc around  (40)
Rnd 21: sc in next 3 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (32)
Rnd 22: sc in next 2 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (24)
F/O and stuff firmly while shaping.  Do not close neck opening.  Pin head to body at neck opening.

EARS:
Using dark blue:

Rnd 1:  6 sc in magic ring  (6)
Rnd 2:  sc in next sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (9)
Rnd 3:  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (12)
Rnd 4:  sc in each sc around  (12)
F/O weave in end.  Stuff lightly.

NOSE:
Using light brown

Rnd 1:  8 sc in magic ring  (8)
Rnd 2:  sc in next 2 sc,  2 hdc in each of next 2 sc,  sc in next 2 sc,  2 hdc in each of last 2 sc.  (12)
F/O Shape with fingers and stuff lightly. 

ARMS:
using white:

Rnd 1:  4 sc in magic ring  (4)
Rnd 2:  sc in next sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (6)
Rnd 3:  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (8)
Rnd 4:  sc in next 3 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (10)
Rnd 5-10:  sc in each sc around  (10)
Stuff moderately.  Flatten end and sc through all layers across  (5)
F/O and weave in end.

FEET:
Using Dark Blue

Rnd 1:  6 sc in magic ring  (6)
Rnd 2:  2 sc in each sc around  (12)
Rnd 3-7:  sc in each sc around (12)
Flatten and sc through all layers  (6)
F/O weave in ends.

TAIL:
Using dark blue

Rnd 1:  6 sc in magic ring  (6)
Rnd 2:  2 sc in each sc around  (12)
Rnd 3:  sc in next sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (18)
Rnd 4-14:  sc in each sc around  (18)
Rnd 15:  Flatten,  sc through all layers across  (9)

COLLAR:
Using light turquoise

Ch 30,   5 dc in second ch from hook,   * skip one ch,  sc in next ch,  skip one ch,  5 dc in next ch*,  repeat from * to *,  end with 5 dc in last ch.

SHELL DECORATION:
Using light coral

R1:  Ch 2,  1 sc in second ch from hook ,  turn (1)
R2:  4 sc in sc,  turn (4)
R3:  2 sc in first sc,  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in last sc,  (6)
R4-7: sc in each sc across  (6)
R8:  dec over 2 sc,  sc in each of next 2 sc,  dec over last 2 sc  (4)
R9:  Insert hook and draw loop through first stitch,  insert hook in second stitch,  draw up loop,  insert hook in third stitch,  draw up a loop,  insert hook in last stitch,  draw up a loop,   YO and draw through all loops on hook,   (1)
R10:   3 slip stitches along edge,  ch 3, 2 dc in same place as last slip stitch,  2 dc in next space,  dc in next space,  ch3 and slip stitch in same space as last dc.   3 slip stitches to next ‘side’   F/O and weave in ends.  Shape shell with fingers.



FINAL ASSEMBLY:

I recommend that you first pin all parts together before sewing,  to ensure that you are happy with all the parts and their placements before making it permanent.

Sew head to body at neck opening.   Collar is sewn just below the seam of head and neck,  with a slight ‘gap’ in the front as shown.  Make sure collar faces ‘up’ as shown. 

Sew arms to body as shown.  Feet are sewn with the round end sewn to the underside of the body.

Tail is sewn to body at the bottom of the back,  round end is ‘out’  and flat end is sewn to edge of underside of body.

Ears are sewn to head as shown.  Nose is centered on face as shown. 

Cut paper models of eyes and pin to face,  when satisfied with the paper ‘templates’ of the eye shape,  use that as a template to cut the eyes from black felt. Sew or glue securely to face as shown.  Glue or sew small circles of white to eyes for catchlights as shown.

Mouth and ‘freckles’ are added with embroidery thread.

Sew shell to front of body between arms,  add separation lines if desired.

Mijumaru and Pokemon are copyright of Nintendo.

This pattern is an original pattern by Linda Potts (June 2010).  Please do not claim this pattern as your own.  If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site.  You may print and keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern. 


49 comments:

Unknown said...

My boys and I LOVE all your Pokemon patterns. If you go to:
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Official_Japanese_site_releases_new_Black_and_White_footage

You can see some footage of the new Black and White game. In it you can see the back of Mijumaru for a little bit. It looks as if you did a very nice job (like always!).
Thanks!

PAQUI said...

DIVINO Y LOS COLORES TAMBIEN, ES UNA CRIATURA MUY TIERNA. GRACIAS POR EL PAP. SALUDOS

Whitney said...

I'm so excited for Black and White, so I was thrilled to see this pattern up! Thank you so much! And great work as always.

Just Ming said...

Mijumaru is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

sy said...

oh wow he's too cute :D

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the pattern. Whenever I try to make heads, the rows where i increas or deacrease are always wrinkly when I stuff. And my heads are never really round they're more ovally. Any tips?

WolfDreamer said...

Sounds as if perhaps you are crocheting a little too tightly, and also you probably need to use more stuffing.

When stuffing dolls, you should stuff them firmly (unless otherwise indicated in the pattern) and shape the piece as you stuff it. Most bags of stuffing material will tell you, you always end up using more stuffing than you think, so keep extra on hand. :D

Hannah said...

Oh wow, I just found your blog. I think I know what my summer crocheting will be.

gordis said...

Gracias, que tierno se ve, desde ahora te sigo para apreciar tus lindos trabajos.
cariños
Celia

Dea said...

Super Cute! XD

Combee is a pokemon that seems nice and easy to crochet too.

Danielle said...

wow, i can't believe you did this one already. i was secretly hoping you would make him because out of all the new pokemon they've released, this one if definitely my favorite. he's just so cute. i can't wait to make this :D

once again, thank you so much for sharing these patterns; it's really very generous of you.

happy crocheting!

Loriann said...

I love this little guy I got he finished however I am having a problem making the shell that goes on his body. Would you be kind enough to help me out.

thank you,
Lori

Unknown said...

My sister and I totally love your patterns, thanks so much for sharing these. =) I was wondering if you take requests from anyone or just close friends..You see, I've just really gotten into crocheting, and I don't have money to get gifts for all my friends every Christmas/birthday/etc. So I decided this year, "Hey, why not crochet them all something?" The thing is, I'm practically like a guy when it comes to trying to figure out what to give--I have no clue. So I'm just sticking to whatever each friend reaally loves.
Anyways, to the point. Haha.
I have a friend who's a total poke'nerd like I am. But he's chosen the oddest (I think, anyway) Poke'mon to really love, which is Pelipper. He totally loves Pelipper, and he said he really wants a shiny. So I figured I'd crochet him a shiny Pelipper for Christmas. The problem is, I'm a total beginner and have no clue how to make my own patterns, much less even have the experience to try so early. And I can't find any Pelipper crochet patterns anywhere.
Basically, I was wondering, could you make a Pelipper pattern and share it? It's okay if you can't. It's just a matter of finding something else to make my friend. x3 I was just hoping.

Anyways, thanks for reading all my rambling. ^^;

Tj

Anonymous said...

OK, I started on the head, and I just finished round 8, and now everything looks like a big...flower...thing...is that supposed to happen? If not, then what am I doing wrong?

WolfDreamer said...

It will proabably look like that a little till you do some more rounds, as long as you have the right stitch count, keep going :D

Anytime you make a larger circle like that, it tends to have an octagonal or hexagonal look to it for a while, that will even out.

Anonymous said...

What does "Flatten, sc through all layers across" mean? I know what sc is, but how do I do this?

WolfDreamer said...

It means to flatten the work, and have the two 'sides' meet each other. Then sc through both sides of the work (you're closing the 'opening'). :D

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just found out mijumaru's engish name, its Oshawott. ;) It's kind of a dumb name to me, but...

Unknown said...

Hello and happy holidays! I love your patterns! I was particularly interested in this one. I decided this year I would make my sisters who are huge Pokemon fans, little stuffed animals of the characters. My question is regarding the shell. Would you be able to help me out. I can't seem to get the hang of how to do it. It's getting close to Christmas and I've put the plushy together in it's entirety minus the shell on his tummy of course. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Happy holidays!

WolfDreamer said...

Well, I'm not sure what part of the shell you're having trouble with.... if you could be more specific - which part are you at?

fashionkittytokyo said...

the english name for this is oshawott. if you need the english names for the starter pokemon from unova (black and white) just go to bulbapedia, it's like a wikipedia for pokemon fans, named after the pokemon bulbasaur ;3

Anonymous said...

its english name is oshawott. n the nose is dark orange not brown and the shell is pale yellow not coral. very cute pattern.

WolfDreamer said...

I'm aware of the English name, and the color differences.

First, the pattern was designed and posted here many months before any english names were announced.

I use yarns that are the closest approximation to the color that I can find ... I can't always get an exact color - sometimes they simply don't make that color in the yarn I use for dolls.

Heatherdu said...

I am also having trouble with the shell. I thought I had it but now that it is done it looks more like a tulip then a shell.

First to make sure I'm not totally off, I assume that R1, R2, etc. is Row 1, Row 2, etc. If that is the case, I am just lost at R10. What part of the shell does R1-R9 make? Is it the base of the shell and then the flare is built on top or is it the center with bumps formed around it?

Thanks!

WolfDreamer said...

Basically, Rnd 9 is the 'top' of the shell, the slip stitches are made along the 'side' of the shells (row 'ends') to get you to the bottom to start the 'fluke' (or the flare). Then you will chain 3 to bring the yarn up to working height, and make the DC's as described. The second chain 3 will take you straight back down to the body of the shell where you slip stitch on the body of the shell to anchor the fluke (flare) and a few more slip stitches around back to the top to 'finish' it.

As with many small decorative elements like this, you'll likely need to shape it with your fingers once you finish... and it should hold it's shape until you sew it in place. :D

Heatherdu said...

Thank you! It looks better but still not 'right' Maybe after I pin it and add the embellishment.

isla said...

this is really cool and cute p.s. the english name 4 it is oshawat

Pikachu said...

Thanks! I love Oshawott he was my starter and is now a Samurott!

MidnightWolf said...

your work is soooo perfect!
i was wondering if you could make minccino? she is a pokemon(a new one from gen. 5) and i love her and so does my sister. can you make one?
they are really easy and i would do it mysself but when i tried i couldn't get the ears right.:(
is it ok if i use this pattern to try to make minccino?

thanks,
MidnightWolf

Angel Chan said...

excuse me? i'm not sure how to do round 10 of the shell decoration O: 3 slip stitch along the edge? I need desperate help! please reply quickly D: thanks (:

WolfDreamer said...

A quick google search online for 'crochet slip stitch' will net hundreds of links to instructions for making the slip stitch.

You will also find dozens and dozens of videos on YouTube if you search there for 'crochet slip stitch'.

As to 'along the edge' it means around the edge of the works (the ends of the rows and/or top and bottom to create a finished look. :D

Anonymous said...

i might start making one it is really cool i love pokemon

emma fran said...

i made it and everyone loved it! p.s. what is your email?

dancergirl said...

I made Oshawott for my older brother for his birthday. It turned out so cutely, I was sad to give it away! Thank you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! You Are so nice to have this for free on this web site! I can't really figure out the nose. You are awesome! my friend's favorite Pokemon was oshawott! He will be excited!

Jacobo said...

Hello Wonderful nice lady who fulfills my dreams of pokemon lol!
Well... Could you PLEASE PLEASE make a Snivy???




Greetings from Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, México.

Anonymous said...

Hi wolfdreamer. Could you PLEASE make a piplup? He's my all time favorite Pokemon! And i don't thik he's very hard either.

Kaze hime said...

Any way you'll be making a vulpix or ninetails any time soon?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your nice pokemon ! Kisses from Italy Barbara

Sarah Kesler said...

I love this pattern, and I've linked to it on my blog with pictures of my completed project. You can see it at http://athenahandmade.blogspot.com/2012/04/gotta-catch-em-all-oshawott.html.

Thanks for the great pattern!

E. said...

I love him I just wish he was happy looking :(

Unknown said...

I'm completely amazed at some of the rude sounding comments on here! Thank you for this semi challenging but excellently written pattern which you wrote out for free so much! I'm sure it took some time to figure out and write for us,which you totally did not have to do! Mine turned out great,and is going in my sons Easter basket,he'll love it! Thanks again :) looking forward to experimenting with your other patterns,hoping to fill my house with cute little pokemon! :D

Unknown said...

HELP!! first, thank you so much for the pattern!! So im done with my oshawott, but either I made the head too small or the body too big. Any guess at what I might have done wrong and how I might fix it? Thanks :3

Unknown said...

Hi, I am working on the Oshawott pattern for my grandson for Christmas and I noticed something odd. You end the pattern for the head with 16 sc left and the body with 24 sc left. That will create a problem when joining the head to the body with the 8 extra sc. Should there be another round on the body that reads R23: sc in next sc, dec over next 2sc around (16). ?? This would make both pieces end with the same number or sc making it easier for joining the two together.

Nicole said...

Hi I really love your Mijimaru/Oshawott pattern and have one finished myself... But I just can't seem to get my shell to turn out like yours does... I have tried doing it completely over twice now and it still looks wrong... I have tried sending a question to your facebook page about it with a photo of my "shell" but I don't know if I posted it right...

WolfDreamer said...

I'm sorry Nicole, facebook hasn't been giving me proper notifications for a while and I only realized it recently.

You are turning at the end of each row on the shell. It doesn't need to be perfect, just a semblance of a shell, as even in the shows its kind of an abstract sort of emblem.

Nicole said...

Okay Thanks again for answering my question and for the beautiful patterns. This makes much more sense as to why mine was so bad haha.

kiraslipk said...

Puedes alternar puntadas un ejemplo:
1- 6 pb
2- 6 aum
3- 1pb, 1 aum
4- 1 pb, 1 aum, 2pb hasta terminar la fila y te va a sobrar 1 que es el complemento del que te falta a propósito del principio
5- 3pb , 1 aum y así sucesivamente

Edwin said...

I appreciate the practical examples that make the concepts clear. auto clicker ensure that repetitive tasks are executed consistently, reducing the risk of errors or inconsistencies.I hope you also visit my blog and give us a good opinion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...