All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Private-POM


Ok,  second in the group is Private.  Cute, naive,  and the youngest of the team...  he keeps them all grounded.   He loves his 'Lunacorn' doll...even if the others kid him about it.

As always,  if you find any problems in the pattern... or just get confused,  let me know - I'll get back at ya ASAP :D


MATERIALS:
WW yarn in black and white,  with a small amount of orange/yellow for beak and feet
G hook
15mm google eyes
Fiberfill
Yarn needle
Sewing thread in suitable colors to match yarn and sewing needle

NOTES:

Gauge isn't important to this doll.  As long as your yarn, hook and individual tension result in a stitch that is tight enough to prevent the stuffing from showing through,  it's perfectly fine.

Numbers at the end of each round or row indicate how many total stitches should be in that round or row.

I recommend reading through each set of instructions before beginning,  to familiarize yourself with the progression of that particular piece.

Pinning all the parts together before sewing is also highly preferable.  It allows you time to decide if you're truly happy with each part,  and make changes to individual parts before making them permanent.

HEAD/BODY:

Rnd 1:  8 sc in magic ring (8)
Rnd 2:  2 sc in each sc around  (16)
Rnd 3:  sc in next sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (24)
Rnd 4:  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (32)
Rnd 5:  sc in next 3 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (40)
Rnd 6:  sc in next 4 sc,  2 sc in next sc around  (48)
Rnd 7-20:  sc in each sc around  (48)
Rnd 21:  sc in next 6 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (42)
Rnd 22-23:  sc in each sc around  (42)
Rnd 24:  sc in next 5 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (36)
Rnd 25-26:  sc in each sc around  (36)
If you haven't begun stuffing already,  now is a good time to begin.  Stuff firmly while shaping, but don't over stuff.    Continue stuffing as you progress.
Rnd 27:  sc in next 4 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (30)
Rnd 28-34:  sc in each sc around  (30)
Rnd 35:  sc in next 3 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (24)
Rnd 36:  sc in next 2 sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (18)
Rnd 37:  sc in next sc,  dec over next 2 sc around  (12)
Rnd 38:  dec over next 2 sc around  (6)
F/O.  Add any last little bit of stuffing that is needed to finish the shaping.  Weave the tail through the final round of sc and tug to close up the opening.  Secure and weave in the end.

WHITE "BELLY" PIECE:

Rnd 1-6:  same as for head/body
Rnd 7-10:  sc in each sc around  (48)
Rnd 11:  dec over first 2 sc,  sc in each sc around to last 2 sc,  dec over last 2 sc.  Do not join,  turn your work  ( you will be working in rows from now on).  (46)
Row 12-25:  repeat round 11 (until 18 sc remain)  (18)
Row 26:  slip stitch over first 3 sc,  ch 1.   Sc in same stitch as last slip stitch.  sc across to last 2 sc.  Turn   (14)
Row 27-28:  sc in each sc across  (14)
Row 29:  2 sc in first sc,  sc in each sc across to last sc,  2 sc in last sc  (16)
Row 30:  repeat row 29  (18)
Row 31-32:  sc in each sc across (18)
Row 33:  slip stitch in next four sc,  * sc in next 5 sc,  turn your work,  sc back across the last 5 sc,  turn,   sc in first sc,  hdc in next,  dc in next,  hdc in next,  sc in last sc.  Slip stitch down the side back to row 32 *.  Repeat * to *,  slip stitch to end of row.
F/O weave in end.

EDGING:

Attach yarn to center back of piece.  Sc in same stitch as joining,  and sc evenly around the sides.  Work 3 sc in each of the  outside 'corners'  at the top of the piece.  Following the shaping around,  sc evenly back down the other side to beginning,  join to first sc with slip stitch.
F/O and weave in end.

FEET (make 4):

Using orange/yellow:

Rnd 1:  6 sc in magic ring  (6)
Rnd 2:  2 sc in each sc around (12)
Rnd 3:  * chain 6,  slip stitch in second chain from hook,  sc in next chain, hdc in next chain, dc in next chain, trbl in last chain.  Skip one sc,  slip stitch in next sc * ,  repeat * to * twice more  (for three toes). Secure and F/O  weave in end

Take two of the 'feet' and place them together, matching up the toes.   Using a long piece of the matching yarn and yarn needle,  whip stitch the two pieces together around the outside edges.   Secure and weave in ends.

LEG (make 2):
(On this particular character,  the leg portion is purely optional.  Very often you don't see his 'legs' on the show - only the feet,  but once in a while you do.  I'm including the instructions for the leg if you choose to do that part.  I prefered to attach the feet directly to the body,  as I didn't find the legs added anything to the doll's overall look)

Begin with orange/yellow:

Rnd 1:  chain 6,  join to form a 'ring'.  Chain 1 and sc around change to white in last sc,  join to first sc of rnd.
Rnd 2:  Chain 1,  sc in same stitch as joining.  * 2 sc in next sc,  sc in next sc *  repeat from * to * around to beginning,  join to first sc with slip stitch.
Rnd 3:  Chain 1, sc in same sc as joining.  * 2 sc in next sc,  sc in next sc  *   repeat from * to * around .   F/O and secure tail,  weave in end.
(when working the leg,  you may have an 'odd' stitch left over in a round... this is ok,  just sc in that stitch and join to begin next round)

Sew the 'leg' portion to foot as shown  (orange section of leg is connected to 'foot')

BEAK:

Rnd 1:  6 sc in magic ring  (6)
Rnd 2:  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in next sc,  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in last sc  (8)
Rnd 3:  sc in next 3 sc,  2 sc in next sc,  sc in next 3 sc,  2 sc in last sc  (10)
Rnd 5:  sc in next 4 sc,  (hdc, dc, hdc) in next sc,  sc in next 4 sc, (hdc, dc, hdc) in last sc  (14)
Rnd 6:  sc in next 5 sc,  (hcd, dc, hdc) in next sc,  sc in next 6 sc,  (hdc, dc, hdc) in next sc,  sc in last sc  (18)
Rnd 7:  sc in next 6 sc,  (hdc, chain 4, sc in 2nd chain from hook and each of next 2 chains, hdc) in next sc,  sc in next 8 sc,  (hdc, chain 4, sc in 2nd chain from hook and each of next 2 chains, hdc) in next sc,  sc in last 2 sc.
F/O.  Flatten beak to shape.  Stuffing shouldn't be needed.

WINGS (make 2):

Row 1:  chain 5,  sc in 2nd chain from hook and each chain across , turn  (4)
Row 2-4:  sc in each sc across, turn (4)
Row 5:  2 sc in first sc,  sc in next 2 sc,  2 sc in last sc , turn (6)
Row 6-14:  sc in each sc across (6)
Row 15:  sc in first 4 sc,  dec over last 2 sc  (5)
Row 16:  sc in each sc across  (5)
Repeat rows 15 and 16 until 1 sc remains.
F/O.  Weave in end.   (slanted side of wing should be placed toward the 'back' of the doll when pinning to body)

FINAL ASSEMBLY:

I highly recommend pinning all the parts together before sewing.  This gives you the chance to make sure you're happy with all the parts and their placement before making it permanent.

The 'white belly' fits snugly over the bottom and is smoothed and stretch up to the 'top' of the head as shown in the photo.

Beak is placed on the face area as shown.  Feet are sewn underneath as shown.

Eyes are glued in place with a strong fabric/all purpose glue  (I recommend E-6000  as it is very strong,  washable,  and will work on nearly every surface)

Wings are placed on the side of the doll as shown.


Private and The Penguins of Madagascar are copyright DreamWorks and their respective creators.


This crochet pattern is an original pattern and is © by Linda Potts (June  2011).  Please do not claim this pattern as your own.  If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint/repost it on your site.  You may print and keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern. 

49 comments:

Tina @ Squirrel Acorns said...

These are absolutely amazing. I can't wait to try to make them for my Penguin (and Penguins of Madagascar) loving son. Thank you so much!

Elizabeth said...

Adorable! You are so talented. Thank you for another wonderful pattern.

Oly said...

it's cute, i like it. In fact, I like each of your creations, thanks a lot!

Lau said...

Oh, his backend is so cute! I must work this guy up!

Anonymous said...

Cute, cute. cute!

Thanks for sharing :-)

~Val

Elsas Stickeri said...

He is sooo adorable! Thanks for the pattern :)

Abfabulies said...

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave... Love it :-)

Tiffany said...

Oh, my little sister will love this! Thanks a ton for sharing!
Also, while I'm commenting, I'd just like to say how much I appreciate all your patterns. I taught myself how to crochet last spring when I found your Torchic pattern, and I've made a good chunk of your Pokemon patterns since then (I've started making up my own patterns, too). Everyone I know loves them, even my 86 year old grandma. Thank you so, so much for being so kind as to share your work. I really do appreciate it.

Vampier Keelr said...

Thats what his name was! Yes Private is my favorite. Just because he is always soooooo adorable. (I also like Rico, just because he can pretty much puke up anything they need -gross)

Charlotte said...

These look just like the movie! Great work!

Unknown said...

Ohh there is another one!! Hjippie!

Eddy G. said...

I haven't been here in ages and you have two new penguins for me - you are a champion.

We adore your little guys - thank you

Spirit Wolf said...

hi i would like to make a request.
where do i make one? I'll just tell you in my comment but please tell me if you have a request list or somthing. i would like to ask if you would make a sugar glider. I wold love a pattern. Thanks

SpiritWolf

Jessie said...

So cute!! My husband went to the aquarium to visit the penguins right after we got engaged so that's kind of our little animal. I really need to learn to crochet ;)

Anonymous said...

how adorable! I love all of your creations. i'd really enjoy coming on to your blog if u had a vulpix pokemon on it. They are like my absolute favorite pokemon! Please and thank you.

Strikkesinen said...

Thank you so much for sharing these adorable patterns. I would like to put some of the pictures on my blog, underneath the picture I will offcourse link to your website. May I do that?
love from a danish blogger :-)

WolfDreamer said...

Yes, you can use the images to link back to the patterns if you want... :D

Strikkesinen said...

Thank you very much :-) I will let you know when they are on my blog, and send you the link

Thunderfeetz said...

I love your patterns!
I recently built up my courage and tried to follow the Mario Bros. Mushroom pattern, but ended up crocheting without the pattern and winging it. I just started reading crochet patterns even though I have been crocheting for a while now.
I was wondering if you would consider addding some kind of feature where I would be able to sort your patterns by difficulty?

=] I'm the kind of person who likes starting off with the easy stuff and when I get comfortable start the harder stuff.
Thank you again for these wonderful patterns, I'll be sure to crochet a lot of them.
:D

Ayla Manchot said...

Que geniales ^_^!!! a mi me encantan los pinguinos, y de hecho hay un reto amistoso en mi blog
http://tejiendo-ideas.blogspot.com/2011/06/primer-tejejuntas-o-reto-amistoso.html
Me encanto todo lo que haces, me hago seguidora^_^
Ciao, y feliz semana

marina said...

GENIA!!!
GREAT!!!!

VISIT

MARINITA ENTRE HILOS Y AGUJAS - FACEBOOK

KISSES

Mindy in Dallas TX said...

I just finished making this and was wondering if you have a feature or a way that I can send you a picture of my Private Penguins of Madagascar Amigurumi doll using your pattern, so you can show others. Do you use ravelry? It lets you share patterns (free or for charge ones) and let others post their "made" creations to show others how theirs came out. I'd love to post my version for you to see. It came out really cute. Next up, Kowalski.

Mindy

WolfDreamer said...

Mindy: Yes I'm on Ravelry all the patterns are there as well :D http://www.ravelry.com/people/WolfDreamer.

I'm also on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WolfDreamerOTH - many people like to share their versions of the dolls from my patterns there :D

LuAnn said...

I tried to make the black part and quit after realizing the pattern was not working out for me. Can you make it clearer for me to follow?
spikey_may@yahoo.com

Aimee said...

Hello. I'm currently working on this particular project and I'm excited to see how it turns out. I only have one piece of advice.

This did happen to be the first project I've tried on your site and when I read "Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)" I got very confued as to what I needed to do. I ended up finally doing some math to figure out how to end up at 24. So my small piece of advice is to phrase that in a bit better way. One pattern I ue to make bunnies write it like this which I find very helpful. For example: sc 1, inc 1 -repeat X times- (Xst)

Anonymous said...

nice patterns :D anyway, me and my friend were talking about a nintendo sires called golden sun. we were just wondering if you could make an isaac plush from dark dawn

Sara said...

Hey WolfDreamer!

First of all i want to say thank you for these wonderful pieces!
But I have a little problem, because I don't see the word "black" anywhere ^^ Do you begin with black or where in this pattern is the black head piece and the black back?

Thank you!
Love, Sara

WolfDreamer said...

The head/body is made in two separate pieces. First, the main body/head in black. Then the second piece is in white, which is then fitted to the main section and sewn on carefully.

This has two purposes. The first is that it adds a little extra bulk in just places where we want it. Secondly, it gives a far cleaner demarcation line between the white and black. If I had done it using the two colors in a single piece, it would have had a 'jagged' edge where the colors meet, and wouldn't have ended up looking as I wanted it to. :D

thestitchyginger said...

All your stuff is so great looking. I'm working on Mario and I thought he'd be a little bigger. How big does Private end up being? I want to make a penguin for my husband and I want it to be fairly big (~18" - 24"). I've tried looking for free penguin patterns and you have the best. If yours isn't that big, how can I make him bigger besides using a bigger hook, without having the stuffing show through?

Thanks and keep the awesome patterns coming!

ChemicalxStar said...

Hi I love you're pattern but I'm a little confused, when you say DEC do you mean decrease??

WolfDreamer said...

yes, dec is a standard abbreviation for 'decrease'. :D

ChemicalxStar said...

I'm a beginner at this so i just want to make sure.. By the way, is he suppose to be really small?

WolfDreamer said...

The one I made (shown in the pictures) is approx. 9 inches tall.

Your finished size will vary depending on the type and brand of yarn you use, your hook, and your individual tension. :D

ChemicalxStar said...

Yeaaaah, I did something wrong.. What I think was suppose to be a head came out too pointy and I'm on round 36 of the Head/Body part.. Ugh >.< I really wish i didn't decide to make Christmas gifts so late. Is there any way you can create a video of anything that would clear the pattern up for me a little bit :(

WolfDreamer said...

I don't have the equipment to make videos. Sounds to me as if you're making too many decreases. Are your round counts coming out even (according to the total stitches that should be in each round which are noted at the end of each round)

If your stitches are the right number, it might be either your tension, or the type of yarn you're using.

ChemicalxStar said...

I was a bit confused with the decreasing part. I thought you decreased twice every time I read "dec over next 2 sc around" Maybe that's what i did wrong? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions it's just i really want to get this pattern right it's so cute and I'm making it for a special someone.

WolfDreamer said...

A decrease is made over 2 existing stitches (reducing the 2 stitches to a single stitch).

It may help you to go to youtube and search for 'single crochet decrease' to get a better idea of how to do this :D

ChemicalxStar said...

Ohh Ok thank you for clearing it up for me. Hopefully I dont mess up again

WolfDreamer said...

You're doing just fine. :D

Everyone makes little mistakes at the beginning... that's how we learn new things :D

ChemicalxStar said...

Oh by the way when you say Round 28-34: sc in each sc around (30) does this mean i have to repeat it for every round? As in do the same thing for round 29 30 31 32 33 and 34?

WolfDreamer said...

Yup, That's exactly it :D

ChemicalxStar said...

I'm really sorry that i keep asking questions but now i really need your help. For the white belly I'm not sure what i did wrong at all i was fine until row 12-25 Can you please email me or something I really need your help. purplesharpie3@hotmail.com

ChemicalxStar said...

Oh and when you turn the work on the rows do you chain1 first then turn? Or just turn when you said to turn. Also if you didn't indicate to turn at all on a row do i turn when i advance to the next? And can you please help me clear up row12-25 on the white belly i'm really confused with that part. I've already tried 3 times..

EntrancedEarth said...

Hi I'm on the white belly part and I'm doing so
Thing very wrong I'm on row 12 and it's turning out crooked and the numbers are off I've redone it four times now and the numbers are still off and the rows are still crooked i am doing the chain one before the turns am i suposed to decrease as well when and before i turn? And is there anyway you can explain the belly part 12 -33 to me in a simpiler way ? Thank you :)
Email - splender443@yahoo.com
P.s I love this pattern I'm making it for my best friends little boy he love private and skipper XD

EntrancedEarth said...

What am I supposed to do on row 26 - 33 I'm so confused on it when I do the slip stitches my numbers are off what am I doin wrong?

Unknown said...

This is great.

Unknown said...

For the beak you go from rnd 3 to rnd 5, is there a round missing or just a typo

JD Brewer said...

I am working on Private and it looks like when your working on the beak Round 3, then Round 5.Am I missing Round 4? If not what is it please?

katiane said...

How big is it in the end when it's done?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...