All pages and patterns of this site can now be translated by using the 'Translate this Page' Gadget at the top of the right hand column of every page. Hopefully this will help many of you who are more comfortable reading in your native language. :D


All patterns are written assuming that the reader has a basic understanding of crochet and amigurumi, IE: working in rounds, sc increase and decrease, basic understanding of construction of the parts.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pichu Plush


July 08, 2009

This is the Pichu doll I just finished up for my youngest daughter who is probably the world's biggest Pichu fan. I must admit, Pichu has become one of my favorites as well.

Pichu

MATERIALS:
WW yarn in light yellow and a medium black
G Hook
Fiberfill
Yarn needle
Scraps of felt in black, red, pink and a very tiny bit of white
sewing threads to match the felt colors

NOTES:

I tend to prefer to join my rounds, but if you prefer continuous rounds and using stitch markers, that's just as good. Whatever is most comfortable for you.

Gauge isn't an issue, just make sure that your hook, yarn and tensions result in a fairly tight stitch, to prevent the stuffing from showing through.

I also recommend using the 'invisible decrease' when making 3D pieces like this. It's done by making the decrease stitch in the Front Loops Only of the two sc. While the stitch isn't completely invisible, it does create a much neater looking piece with few to no 'gaps' where the decrease stitches are made.

Number in ( ) at the end of each round or row, are the total number of stitches in that round or row.

Special stitches used:

BPDC (Back post double crochet): Yarn over, insert hook from the back side of the work right to left around the post of the indicated stitch on a previous row. yo and pull up a loop (3 lps on hook)
yo and draw through two lps (2 lps on hook), yo and draw through two lps (1 lp on hook)

FPTC (Front post treble crochet): Yarn over twice, insert hook around the post (from the front side of your work) of the stitch indicated, yo and draw up a lp (4 lps on hook), yo and draw through two lps (3 lps on hook), yo and draw through two lps (2 lps on hook), yo and draw through two lps (1 lp on hook)

-----------------------------------


HEAD:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12)

Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (18)

Rnd 4: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)

Rnd 5: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (30)

Rnd 6: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (36)

Rnd 7: sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (42)

Rnd 8: sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (48)

Rnd 9-12: sc in each sc around (48)

Rnd 13: sc in next 6 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (42)

Rnd 14: sc in next 5 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (36)

Rnd 15: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (30)

Begin stuffing about this point if you haven't done so already.

Rnd 16: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (24)

Rnd 17: sc in next 2 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (18)

Rnd 18: sc in next sc, dec over next 2 sc around (12)

F/O leaving tail, add any stuffing to finish filling out the head. Weave the tail through the last round worked and pull to close.


BODY:

Repeat rounds 1-7 of HEAD.

Rnd 8-11: sc in each sc around (42)

Rnd 12: sc in next 5 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (36)

Rnd 13: sc in each sc around (36)

Rnd 14: sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (30)

Rnd 15: sc in each sc around (30)

Rnd 16: sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (24)

Rnd 17: sc in each sc around (24)

Rnd 18: sc in next 2 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (18)

Rnd 19: sc in each sc around (18)

F/O and stuff moderately firm, leaving opening at neck as is for now.


EARS:

Make 2.

Using yellow yarn,

Rnd1: 4 sc in magic ring (4)

Rnd 2: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, around (6)

Rnd 3: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc, around (8)

Rnd 4: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, around (10)

Rnd 5: sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc, around (12)

Rnd 6: sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, around (14)

Rnd 7: sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc, around (16)

Rnd 8: sc in next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc, around (18)

Rnd 9: sc in next 5 sc, dec over next 2 sc (twice) sc next 5 sc dec over next 2 sc (twice) (14)

Rnd 10: sc in next 5 sc, dec over next 2 sc around (12)

Do not fasten off. Work one round of sc evenly around the edges of the flattened ear, working 2 sc together in the 'bends' on the sides and 3 sc together in the top point and both of the bottom 'corners'. Join to top of beginning sc. F/O yellow. Attach black to the 4th sc from the bottom of the ear (the end opposite the point). Ch1 and sc in same st as joining.

Sc in each sc to the center stitch of the point (the middle sc at the point where you put three sc together) in that center sc, work the following - sc, FPTC (going around the center sc in the second row below), sc - work sc in each sc to the fourth sc from the bottom on the other side. Do not ch 1, turn. Skip first sc from hook and work to the point. In the point work the following - sc, BPDC (going around the post of the FPTC from row before), sc - work sc until the next to last stitch. Sl st in last stitch. F/O weave in ends.


ARMS:

Make 2

Using yellow yarn

Rnd 1: sc 8 in magic ring

Rnd 2: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc (10)

Rnd 3-7: sc in each sc around (10)

F/O. Stuff moderately without making them over stiff.


FEET:

Using yellow:

Rnd 1: sc 6 in magic ring (6)

Rnd 2: sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc (8)

Rnd 3: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc (10)

Rnd 4-7: sc in each sc around (10)

Flatten out the foot and sc thru both layers to 'close' end. Foot is not stuffed.

F/O


TAIL:

Using Black make 2 of the following:

Row 1: Ch 11. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across. (10)

Row 2: sc in each sc across, do not turn but ch 7.

Row 3: sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch to previous row, sc in next 5 sc of row 2, turn (leaving remaining sc of row 2 unworked) (11)

Row 4-7: sc in each sc across (11)

Place the two pieces together and sc evenly around the edge going through both pieces. Use 3 sc together in each outside corner, and one sc on inside corners.


COLLAR:

Using black:

Ch 22, sc in 2nd ch from hook and next 7 chs. Ch 4, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, sc in next ch of foundation ch. Ch 3, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, sc in next ch of foundation ch. Ch 3, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, sc in next ch of foundation ch. Ch 4, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, sc in next ch of foundation ch. Sc in remaining chs of foundation ch.

ASSEMBLY:

I strongly recommend that you pin all the pieces together before sewing them, just to ensure that you have everything as you want it. Sew head to body, arms and legs in place (using picture for reference). Sew ears to top of head as shown in the picture. Sew the tail to the center bottom of the back of the body as shown. It doesn't matter to which side the tail is turned. Whichever you prefer.

Cut two dime sized circles of black felt, two quarter sized circles of pink felt and two very tiny circles of white. With red felt, cut a mouth the shape shown (it's probably easier to make a paper version first, and when you're pleased with the mouth shape and size, use that paper piece as a template to cut out the mouth from red felt.)

Sew (or glue) the face pieces on as shown, add the 'catch lights' in the eyes as shown.

Sew the collar around the neck, and sew the points of the collar down to the chest.



Pichu and pokemon are copyright Nintendo.

This pattern is an original pattern by Linda Potts (May 2009). Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern.

62 comments:

Dragonflymom said...

Both my boys had a fit when they saw this, and can't seem to wait for me to make them one. LOL Thanks for another amazing pattern. This is really cute.

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you very much!

Ree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! these are the best patterns EVER! i cant find any patterns this good and this many! for the next pattern do you think you can make a mario or maybe even a link from legend of zelda? my sister is a big fan of all of your crochet patterns and would love if you could make one for her! please keep up the great work!! :)

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you for the compliments!

Well I've had a few requests for a Mario or Luigi (mostly from my girls LOL) so I've been considering it! I'm working on several different projects at the moment but once I get thru my immediate 'to do' list, I think I will give Mario a try :)

Unknown said...

Great design! I am hoping to make some of these for charity.

Just thought you should know that you missed the make 2 on the feet.

Cora

WolfDreamer said...

Thank you very much! (and I see that I did leave that out, I'll fix that when I'm editing next! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome pattern! :] Just a small question: Is there any alternative to using magic rings in this pattern? I'm not very good at them and would love to make a pichu. :D

WolfDreamer said...

Yes of course! You can always simply chain 2 and work 6 sc in the 2nd ch from the hook.

I'm just so accustomed to using the magic ring (when I was a girl, we called them 'slip rings') that I forget to include the alternative.

Thank you tho for reminding me of that :) I should probably include the alternative in the pattern instructions.

Unknown said...

What an awesome pattern! Thanks so much for posting it, it was very easy to follow, and now I have my very own Pichu toy!!

WolfDreamer said...

You're very welcome Martha, and I'm SO glad you're happy with your new Pichu.

Bee said...

These patterns are simply amazing! There are several people I know that love Pokemon, and I do as well (if only for the cuteness factor!). Your patterns are very realistic-looking, and I can't wait to try them out once I get some new yarn! Thanks so much!

WolfDreamer said...

You're very welcome, Zoey! :D

controllingmel said...

I just finished making the Pichu. Unfortunately i picked the wrong yellow but hes still cute. Not as cute as yours though. Love your patterns.

aust lewin said...

this is a great pattern. the ears are just so cute.

Anonymous said...

great patterns!! i just finished a pichu and its awsome!
making pooh bear and friends would be super cute especially tigger do you think you could try?

WolfDreamer said...

Thanks!

I might do Pooh & Friends at some point, I love them all, but to be honest, there are SO many good patterns for them online already...and I've been trying to do mostly patterns for characters with little or no pattern choices available online.

You never know though, inspiration strikes in strange ways and at odd times, I never really know what's going to be the next thing 'Off the Hook' :)

Risita said...

Clarification: I mean items made from this pattern, not the pattern itself, of course.

Risita said...

Is it OK to sell this pattern if 100% of the earnings are donated to charity?

WolfDreamer said...

Risita.... IF 100% of the money goes to charity, you can do this once. I'd rather it wasn't a constant thing though. I'm all for charity. Especially if it is for children. If you do this, please send me a note with the charity and how much it helped. :D

Risita said...

OK, thanks for letting me know. :-) The craft fair isn't for a few months, but at that time I'll let you know that info.

Anonymous said...

hi
i got a great idea when i was doing the ears and now i have the rare spikey eared pichu

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks so much for this! Bith my boys are huge Pichu fans and we cannot find him in the stores! I am going to make this for them!

Anonymous said...

I'm almost done with making all the parts, and I was looking through the assembly instructions...you never included anything on how the collar should be attached. Did you sew it on before or after you attached the head to the body? Or do you just tie/slip stitch it closed with the F/O yarn in the back of Pichu's neck without sewing it down?

WolfDreamer said...

I sewed it down around the neck after attaching the head. Then sewed the points down at the chest.

Anonymous said...

Can you please provide an alternate ear pattern for a spiky-eared Pichu? I was thinking about crocheting spiky-eared Pichu. ^_^

Anonymous said...

You are awesome. I have done a few mushrooms and my students love them. Have you thought about doing Yoshi at sometime?

Monica said...

TOTALLY making my sister one for Christmas. Thank you so much!

katiebaby said...

Hi Wolfdreamer, thank you for the pattern, i was just wondering if there is any way you could help with the ears they are coming out cylinder shaped for some reason. and i missing something? thank you so much. take care

WolfDreamer said...

well you should be making 2 increases in each round (one on each 'side') from round 2 to round 8, this will give you something of a 'semi-flat cone' shape.

After you finish the main part of the ear, the 'edging' is what really helps to give the flattened look. :D

katiebaby said...

thank you so much! im a novice at crocheting i havent been at it too long. but i got it now! thank you so much! i love love love your patterns and thank you so much for being so generous to give them for free i am making my 3 year old son this pichu he is exstatic! thanks!

Alyssa said...

Just finished making this :) So adorable. My boyfriend made a little heart that we put inside it :3

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern.

I'm crocheting this pattern, however, I have problem with ears. It seems to big and short, not long and small like yours. My last round also 12 sc. Kindly advise me.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if YOUR the biggest Pichu fan.I like pichu,pikachu,raichu and most of the eletric types

WolfDreamer said...

Well then you should be very pleased... I have patterns for pichu, pikachu and raichu all here for you to use :D

(my daughter is the huge pichu fan by the way, as I said above in the intro... but I did come to like pichu a lot while making the doll :)

Peggy said...

Hi! I love your patterns and I've been starting to do them more and more!

I'm actually having some trouble with the tail because I can't visualize each step, starting from row 3 because I don't see how it becomes 11 stitches. Eeps.

Thanks

Peggy said...

Nevermind. I got it, thank you!

emma fran said...

what does F/O mean?

Anonymous said...

que significa ch y también podrías poner a altaria por favor me encanta esto

Anonymous said...

what does f/o mean?..fasten off?..and i'm having trouble with understanding how to finish off the ears....what do you mean by "Work one round of sc evenly around the edges of the flattened ear, working 2 sc together in the 'bends' on the sides and 3 sc together in the top point and both of the bottom 'corners'. Join to top of beginning sc."

Kids craft ideas said...

Great tutorial! i love it so much, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I love this pattern but I couldn't get the ears right no matter what I tried. Magic ring, joining ring, and sc in the first ch. I did my best to keep the stitches loose but it didn't work. So I'd like to put up my own version of the ears for those that had the same problem. The lining will be worked the same as what's in the pattern. This is just for the yellow part of the ears.

Make 2 using yellow.

Row 1: Ch 6
Row 2: Sc in ea. ch. ch 1, turn
Row 3 & 4: 2 sc in first sc, sc to last sc, 2 in last sc, ch 1 turn
Rows 5-7: sc in ea sc, being sure to ch 1 and turn at the end of ea row.
Row 8: sc in ea sc, decreasing in ch 5 & 6 of previous row. ch 1, turn
Row 9 & 10: sc in ea sc, decreasing in sc 4 & 5 of previous row. ch 1, turn
Row 11-13: sc in ea sc, decreasing in sc 3 & 4. ch 1, turn.
Row 14: sc in nxt row
Row 15: sc in middle st of last row. Finish off and use instructions in pattern for the black trim.

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I was also wondering if you can make a Furret plushie. It is my favorite Pokemon in soul silver but I can't find a good or free pattern for it.

Angela Harrison said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful patterns. I started to make some of your creations to donate to a local battered women's shelter for child that had to leave their toys behind. When I checked into the process of donating they go to a thift store where the mother can shop for free but they also sell some of the donations to fund the center and I was wondering if that would ok. I know your patterns say not to sell them so if you would prefer I didn't that is ok but I wanted to ask you permission before I donated them. Their website is www.juliancenter.org if you would like to check it out. Thanks

WolfDreamer said...

Charitable donations are fine with me. Helping women and children in need is a fine thing, and knowing kids in need will have some lovingly made toys is a good feeling :D

Anonymous said...

I am confused by what the parenthesis mean. Please help.

WolfDreamer said...

As it states in the NOTES at the beginning of the pattern, the numbers in ( ) (parentheses) indicate the total number of stitches that should be in that round,

Example: Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12) means that there will be 12 sc in round 2 - when round 2 is complete.

This helps you to make sure you're on track while working the pattern.

Anonymous said...

I am confused with the tail on row 2. Can you explain what you mean better? Is there only supposed to be 7 chains in that row? That doesn't seem like it would work out right... >.<

WolfDreamer said...

Crochet to the end of the row, don't turn, but chain 7. THEN turn, and work back across the chain (6 sc in the chain) then work a sc in each of the next 5 sc of the previous row (5 more sc). You will leave the remaining sc in that row unworked.

You should now have 11 sc, and follow the pattern from there.

Darkmaiden said...

Is there a video or images on how to do the ears? I know there's another way to create the ears posted in comments, but it's frustrating that I cant understand how you did it without images which would be most helpful

Anonymous said...

can u please re explain how to do the ears

Do not fasten off. Work one round of sc evenly around the edges of the flattened ear, working 2 sc together in the 'bends' on the sides and 3 sc together in the top point and both of the bottom 'corners'. Join to top of beginning sc. F/O yellow. Attach black to the 4th sc from the bottom of the ear (the end opposite the point). Ch1 and sc in same st as joining.

Sc in each sc to the center stitch of the point (the middle sc at the point where you put three sc together) in that center sc, work the following - sc, FPTC (going around the center sc in the second row below), sc - work sc in each sc to the fourth sc from the bottom on the other side. Do not ch 1, turn. Skip first sc from hook and work to the point. In the point work the following - sc, BPDC (going around the post of the FPTC from row before), sc - work sc until the next to last stitch. Sl st in last stitch. F/O weave in ends.

i really dont get what u mean or if there is an alternate way if making the ears

BlackAngel844 said...

(Sorry for my bad English, I'm from switzerland)
Thank you very much for this pattern! I love Pokemon and this Amigurumi is so cute x3

Márcia said...

thank you so much!
Obrigada!

Unknown said...

This is so good thank you :P. I was wondering if you could make a pichu or pikachu beanie, the ones that cover your ears too with the strings coming down.

Unknown said...

when you say in Rnd 3: sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (18)
is to continue 2 sc in all the following sc around and also with the dec part of it?

Unknown said...

Just chain 3 and then join too form a ring but make sure to leave a tail that's a couple inches long. Then crochet in the center the amount of stitches that this pattern says to put in the magic circle while making sure to crochet over your tail. Then you can join and pull the tail to tighten up the hole and continue on from the pattern.

Elia morgan said...

please!!! can you do some Lion King, like Simba Nahla, Scar, etc....
I suck at designing, I only can do ready made patterns,LOLOL

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shalla said...

I appreciate the hard work in producing this pattern, and am working on making one for my husband's collection. Unfortunately, this is my first working in crochet in about 10 years and I haven't done this kind before ... always did blankets, scarves, hats, etc. I hate to ask, but I've seen others have had problems in understanding the ears but didn't see a reply post. When you list "Work one round of sc evenly around the edges, am I still working on the last row I stitched or am I going up the outside of the ear at this point?

Unknown said...

@Shalla - at that point, you're working up the side of the ears.

Unknown said...

My ears are not turning out. The magic ring to start, the next row are you going around I a circle or are you going back and forth. The ear is attached at the magic ring or where you end the ear. The black goes around from from the magic ring side or from the ending side. I am an experience crocheted but my ear looks nothing like your picture. I am doing something wrong.

WolfDreamer said...

The ears are tubes that are small at one end and large at the open end. You then will flatten this conical tube and work along the outside edges of what is now the triangular shaped ears. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...